Supported Protocols Confusion

Daniel Bujak

Jan 3, 2023, 9:37:40 PM1/3/23
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
Hi all, I've been facing some issues when testing the latest Firefox builds on macOS and have traced the point of deviation to checking of the capabilities reported by my device.

The FIDO2.0 spec indicates 3 capability flags
  • CAPABILITY_WINK (If set to 1, authenticator implements CTAPHID_WINK function)
  • CAPABILITY_CBOR (If set to 1, authenticator implements CTAPHID_CBOR function)
  • CAPABILITY_NMSG (If set to 1, authenticator DOES NOT implement CTAPHID_MSG function)
I'm trying to understand the exact meaning of the CAPABILITY_NMSG flag. Does setting this flag indicate anything about the protocols supported (ie. U2F vs FIDO2)? Further, is this setting related to the version strings reported by the device?

From my testing, it seems like Firefox uses the capabilities flags to decide whether to use U2F or CTAP2. My device supports CTAPHID messages (for some legacy reasons), but does not support U2F auth. Is this valid?

Any clarification would be appreciated!

Ackermann Yuriy

Jan 3, 2023, 10:58:02 PM1/3/23
to Daniel Bujak, FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
NMSG means authr does not support HID MSG command. So basically not supporting U2F protocol

Yuriy Ackermann
FIDO, Identity, Standards
skype: ackermann.yuriy
github: @herrjemand
twitter: @herrjemand
medium: @herrjemand

Daniel Bujak

Jan 3, 2023, 11:35:19 PM1/3/23
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev), Ackermann Yuriy, FIDO Dev (fido-dev), Daniel Bujak
Right, I get that without CTAPHID MSG, the device cannot support U2F. However, is the opposite necessarily true? Does indicating the NMSG==0 indicate support for U2F? It seems to me that this option only means that the CTAPHID message structure is supported, not that the authenticator supports the U2F protocol, but I may be misunderstanding.