Question on platform lock-in

Franz Winter

Nov 23, 2023, 6:20:45 AM11/23/23
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
If I go full passkeys on my Apple devices using Apple's Keychain: Would I be able to comfortably do a platform switch to Android in the future?

I understand that I would be able to transfer every single passkey for a specific service, but would I be able to transfer all of them together?

Thank you!

Tim Cappalli

Nov 27, 2023, 11:50:26 AM11/27/23
to Franz Winter, FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
There is active work to develop a protocol to securely migrate credentials across providers. I can't say whether all providers will implement it, but there are quite a few players, large and small, that are engaged in the work.

tim