Start implementing FIDO

Sơn Lê

Jul 31, 2022, 10:39:22 PM7/31/22
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
Hello, I'm from a fintech company in Vietnam which is developing digital wallets and payment service. Our digital wallet is using old authentication methods such as SMS and Smart OTP.
Therefore, we want to implement FIDO to our app to enhance users' experience and security level of the system. Can you suggest some steps to start at technology aspect, I 've read some documents from fidoalliance and the basic flows of FIDO but got stuck when trying to implement because I did not know what to do at the beginning, especially the size and complexity of messages between the components.  We already had an authentication server for our apps.
Thanks for answering.

Best regards,
sonhoang

Arshad Noor

Jul 31, 2022, 11:23:07 PM7/31/22
to Sơn Lê, FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
Hi Sonhoang,

You didn't specify if you're planning to create a digital wallet for a
mobile device or something for the desktop/laptop.

If you are looking for something for Android, here is an open-source
implementation that will work for devices using Android 9 or greater. It
implements the FIDO2 protocol and can be used by native Android apps
(aka Rich Client Applications or RCA) for FIDO registrations,
authentications (aka assertions) and transaction confirmation:

https://github.com/StrongKey/fido2/tree/master/sampleapps/java/sacl

The Android library is designed to work with the FIDO Certified FIDO2
server at the same repository:

https://github.com/strongkey/fido2

The transaction confirmation capability supports the FIDO-EMVCo defined
messages for payment processing:

https://fidoalliance.org/technical-note-fido-authentication-and-emv-3-d-secure-using-fido-for-payment-authentication/

If you have questions about the Android library or FIDO server, please
DO NOT post them here - the FIDO server repo has its own forum for
questions. However, you can direct your questions about the FIDO-EMVCo
messages to this forum.

Good luck.

Arshad Noor
StrongKey

On 7/31/22 7:39 PM, Sơn Lê wrote:
> Hello, I'm from a fintech company in Vietnam which is developing digital
> wallets and payment service. Our digital wallet is using old
> authentication methods such as SMS and Smart OTP.
> Therefore, we want to implement FIDO to our app to enhance users'
> experience and security level of the system. Can you suggest some steps
> to start at *technology aspect*, I 've read some documents from
> *fidoalliance *and the *basic flows of FIDO* but got stuck when trying
> to implement because I did not know what to do at the beginning,
> especially the *size and complexity of messages* between the
> components.  We already had an authentication server for our apps.
> Thanks for answering.
>
> Best regards,
> sonhoang
>
> --
> https://groups.google.com/a/fidoalliance.org/d/msgid/fido-dev/b2cb87d1-dca3-4619-a8a8-6022667a42fdn%40fidoalliance.org
> <https://groups.google.com/a/fidoalliance.org/d/msgid/fido-dev/b2cb87d1-dca3-4619-a8a8-6022667a42fdn%40fidoalliance.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Ackermann Yuriy

Aug 1, 2022, 3:19:19 AM8/1/22
to Sơn Lê, FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
Hey Som.

Here are a great set of resources to start with:

Intro into Webauthn https://webauthn.guide/

A community built resource containing all open source servers, solutions, and resources https://github.com/herrjemand/awesome-webauthn

Thx
Yuriy