OpenSSH support with Platform Authenticator

Y X

Mar 22, 2023, 4:03:29 PM3/22/23
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
Hello All,

We are trying to explore securing SSH login to remote server with FIDO2. OpenSSH started to support FIDO key since 8.2 (https://www.openssh.com/txt/release-8.2), but it seems like there is no support for Platform Authenticator.

Would like if there is any way to use SSH with Platform Authenticator? Or if there any other recommended way to access server with FIDO2?

Any suggestion welcome. Thanks in advance.

My1

Mar 22, 2023, 4:11:30 PM3/22/23
to Y X, FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
If i am not wrong the only major difference between platform and roaming authenticators are how common key types are and attestation types, right? So in theory if your platform authenticator plays ecdsa or ed25519 the sk things should work for the server, as without attestation one possibly couldn't even distinguish between platform or roaming.

the bigger question is the client tho, THAT has to support platform authenticators. If Windows by now supports modern key types for platform and the ssh client on windows works with fido2, as fido generally goes through win hello on windows there's a good chance that platform keys can already work or could with minimal effort.

Arshad Noor

Mar 22, 2023, 4:27:45 PM3/22/23
to fido...@fidoalliance.org
While SSH and FIDO leverage public-key cryptography, they are two
different authentication protocols. Both however, support the use of the
Trusted Platform Module (TPM) (which FIDO calls a Platform Authenticator).

https://duckduckgo.com/?t=ftsa&q=openssh+%2Btpm&ia=web

Arshad Noor
StrongKey
> --
> https://groups.google.com/a/fidoalliance.org/d/msgid/fido-dev/0163d589-0124-4a3f-8fef-d006b1b9075en%40fidoalliance.org <https://groups.google.com/a/fidoalliance.org/d/msgid/fido-dev/0163d589-0124-4a3f-8fef-d006b1b9075en%40fidoalliance.org?utm_medium=email&utm_source=footer>.

Y X

Mar 22, 2023, 4:31:46 PM3/22/23
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev), My1, FIDO Dev (fido-dev), Y X
Yeah you are right. I should've be more specific, we want to make it work on Mac with touchID, so users could SSH from their Mac to remote server with touchID.

The default SSH installed on Mac does not support sk yet, so we have to use the brew-installed openssh, but even with that, it seems like it only supports USB key not the touchID.

Tim Cappalli

Mar 22, 2023, 4:37:10 PM3/22/23
to Y X, FIDO Dev (fido-dev), My1
The protocols support it, but it is not natively implemented on either desktop OS.

To use a TPM/SE protected SSH key, you can use a virtual smart card on Windows or a 3P SSH agent on macOS.

tim

Mar 22, 2023, 5:10:50 PM3/22/23
to Arshad Noor, fido...@fidoalliance.org
@Arshad Noor
sure the protocol interactions, like signature format etc between "Normal" SSH keys and FIDO are different, but SSH has for a good while by now implemented the so-called *-sk keys like ecdsa-sk and ed25519-sk, which specifically are for use of ECDSA and Ed25519-based FIDO Devices.

Regards

To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/a/fidoalliance.org/d/msgid/fido-dev/c2b36e95-2a96-49e1-6cb3-d7ceec3c3eb9%40strongkey.com.

John Bradley

Mar 22, 2023, 6:29:58 PM3/22/23
to My1, Arshad Noor, fido...@fidoalliance.org
On Windows ssh with libFido2 supports platform authenticators.   It has been tested using RSA keys.  Yubico worked with Microsoft to get that working.   The official Microsoft ssh for windows supports it but you need the latest version so need to download it.  It will eventually ship by default from my understanding.

If and when Apple releases an API that libFido2 can use like WebAuthn.dll on windows it will be possible for us to add support on MacOS.

It is the underlying API to access the platform authenticator that is the issue.

Regards.

Sent from my iPhone

Y X

Mar 23, 2023, 12:45:12 PM3/23/23
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev), John Bradley, Arshad Noor, fido...@fidoalliance.org, My1
Thanks everyone for the great insights. For MacOS currently, is there any 3rd-party SSH agent recommended?

Best,

Tim Cappalli

Mar 23, 2023, 12:59:09 PM3/23/23
to Y X, FIDO Dev (fido-dev), John Bradley, Arshad Noor, My1
Not formal recommendation or endorsement, but I personally use Secure Agent.

SSH Config Editor also has a built-in agent.

Sent: Thursday, March 23, 2023 12:45

To: FIDO Dev (fido-dev) <fido...@fidoalliance.org>