WebAuthN - PIN mandatory for Resident Keys

Aravind Jerubandi

Apr 10, 2022, 11:19:46 PM4/10/22
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
I'm playing around with WebAuthN demo app with my yubikey device.

In the demo app, there is an option to select resident key and User Verification.

If I select the option to use resident key and user verification as 'Discouraged', even then it prompts me to enter the PIN.

So looks like PIN is mandatory for resident keys. Is this enforced by WebAuthN protocol or the yubikey device?

Shane Weeden

Apr 11, 2022, 1:12:30 AM4/11/22
to Aravind Jerubandi, FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
I suspect most likely the client (i.e. browser).

DUBOUCHER Thomas

Apr 11, 2022, 6:26:06 AM4/11/22
to Shane Weeden, Aravind Jerubandi, FIDO Dev (fido-dev)

Hi,

User Verification is not mandatory for Discoverable Credentials (aka Resident Keys), at least not in the CTAP2 protocol.

However, in this case the authenticator shall not return any PII if it supports any form of UV – which in turn makes credential selection impossible for the user because the client cannot prompt any meaningful information to identify the account.

Probably on client-side the UV is enforced for RK if the authenticator supports UV, even if set to discouraged, to avoid this UI/UX issue.

Best regards,

--

Thomas Duboucher

John Bradley

Apr 11, 2022, 11:02:06 AM4/11/22
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev), thomas.d...@thalesgroup.com, FIDO Dev (fido-dev), Shane Weeden, aravind....@gmail.com
The other issue with Discoverable credentials is that Chrome creates them at credprotect level 2 unless the RP explicitly sets a level.

That means that without UV the authenticator would not find the credentials.   To avoid that most clients will prompt for UV even if it is set to discouraged.

RP using discoverable credentials (no allow list) should always set UV preferred in the request or they may have trouble with clients that don't override the UV setting in the RP's request.