Bluetooth and Pairing Requirements for Cross-Device Authentication on Pixel Devices

Yun Tang

Jun 11, 2024, 2:32:00 AMJun 11
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev)

Hi Team,

We're testing cross-device authentication with multiple Pixel devices. For devices that upgrade from Android 13 to Android 14, Bluetooth does not need to be turned on. However, for devices that start with Android 14, Bluetooth needs to be turned on, and the device must be paired with the laptop. If not, you will encounter the error "Device couldn't connect."

We are using https://passkeys-codelab.glitch.me/ for CDA testing.

I would like to ask why there are different configurations: Why does a device with Android 14 require Bluetooth and pairing, but a device upgraded from Android 13 to 14 does not?

Message has been deleted

Adam Langley

Jun 13, 2024, 5:45:00 PMJun 13
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev), Yun Tang
The hybrid transport never needs Bluetooth pairing to performed in principle. If you're observing that it is needed then it's probably an issue with the desktop device not processing adverts from unpaired peers? However, I've never observed that happening.

Cheers

AGL