NFC Security key on PC

Pro Coder 101

Feb 5, 2023, 5:52:55 AM2/5/23
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
Sir,
As we know most personal computers do not have NFC sensors built in. Hence, we are bound to use security keys over USB or BLE mainly. In light of this, I would be obliged if you would suggest which NFC Readers can support the use of NFC Physical Security Keys with PCs.
Further, I would be obliged if you suggest one that is available in India.
Thank you,

DUBOUCHER Thomas

Feb 5, 2023, 4:15:57 PM2/5/23
to Pro Coder 101, FIDO Dev (fido-dev)

Hi Aditya,

You’ll need a NFC or contactless reader

-          that is compliant with ISO 14443 Type-A*,

-          and has a WinScard/PCSC driver interface, ideally a USB reader compliant with CCID will be universal,

Note that cheap readers are known to have bugs, pcsclite project has an impressive list of readers with their known bugs[ccid].

Best regards,

* historically, FIDO Type-B didn’t work on Android device, so no NFC security keys use Type-B or C…

[ccid] https://ccid.apdu.fr/select_readers/?features=contactless

--

Thomas Duboucher