Question about Google fido 2.0 webauthn libs.

Bob Xin

Aug 16, 2021, 6:13:47 AM8/16/21
to FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
Question about Google fido 2.0 webauthn libs.
com.google.android.gms:play-services-fido:18.1.0

We want to know what kind of authentication method is used for user authentication.
For example, on Google Pixel device user can use two ways; fingerprint or pin code.

We checked Google Play Service API documents, about UVM extension found in Google play-service-fido library, but I don't know how to use it. Not sure if it is used correctly.

When register process enabled UVM extension, reference with W3C WebAuthn official documents.
gms-fido2.png

Will get the results from here ?? I'm not sure about it. UvmEntries entities are always null.
fido-uvm.png

How do we know which authentication method users used with Google GMS fido 2.0 lib ??

John Bradley

Aug 16, 2021, 10:43:32 AM8/16/21
to Bob Xin, FIDO Dev (fido-dev)
Someone from the Android team may be best to answer this.

From my recollection, that UVM was added to Android a while ago due to customer requests.

The problem is that the underlying API the authenticator is using was updated and the authenticator no longer knows if it was a pin, fingerprint or other biometric that unlocked the key material.

I think that is why on a current version of Android you are not getting that information back.

Google has never been a proponent of UVM to my knowledge. I personally would not count on using it going forward.

Regards
John B.

Arshad Noor

Aug 16, 2021, 12:23:00 PM8/16/21
to fido...@fidoalliance.org, maobo...@gmail.com

You could try the StrongKey Android Client Library (SACL) available here and here, that supports FIDO2 and UVM. There is a sample demonstration app that shows how the SACL works.

The only consideration is that the SACL is designed to work with the open-source, FIDO Certified FIDO2 server (available in the same repos mentioned above). But, like all open-source, both can be modified within the constraints of the license to do what is needed if you're willing to make the effort.

Hope that helps.

Arshad Noor
StrongKey