Factorie vs Alchemy MLN, and support for Factorie

David Portabella

Oct 27, 2016, 8:17:28 PM10/27/16
to Factorie
Hi,

I've been trying to use Alchemy for MLN for a while, but it's difficult to get support. Their mailing list has no activity.

I've found about Factorie and I'd like to give it a try.
How does Factorie compare to Markov Logic Networks?

It mentions: "Alchemy is a library for stastistical relational learning, mostly structured around Markov Logic Networks. While MLNs are representable in factorie, its main focus is on other kinds of model. Factorie also provides many tools for machine learning and natural language processing which do not fit in the statistical relational learning framework.".

Could you please ellaborate on this?
Can Factorie be used for the citeseer disambiguation example? http://alchemy.cs.washington.edu/papers/poon07/

Also, is there some support of Factorie?
There is not much activity in this mailing list neither. Is there another mailing list, or someone to whom I could ask answers?

Cheers,
David

Emma Strubell

Oct 28, 2016, 10:22:46 AM10/28/16
to Factorie
There is support for Factorie, in particular the NLP pipeline, optimization and any bugs you may find. If you're looking for help with machine learning, then you may be less fortunate -- it basically just depends on whether someone who knows about the stuff you're working on happens to be following the list.

Best,

Emma

Factorie Discuss group.
To post, email: dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu

Pallika Kanani

Oct 28, 2016, 1:07:45 PM10/28/16
to dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu
As for entity disambiguation, I believe Factorie has a fairly sophisticated model to tackle that problem. It's not the same model as in the '07 paper, but a different one.

Best,
Pallika.