What is the plan to start using Scala 2.12

Sujay Purkayastha

Nov 13, 2017, 4:17:20 PM11/13/17
to Factorie
Factorie still only runs with Scala 2.11 and Scala 2.11.12 is a maintenance release. Scala 2.11 is no longer actively maintained.

Sujay Purkayastha

Nov 16, 2017, 2:16:05 PM11/16/17
to Factorie
Can someone from Factorie team respond to this?

Emma Strubell

Nov 16, 2017, 2:18:37 PM11/16/17
to dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu
Hi Sujay, we're looking into it now. We'll get back to you next week.

Thanks,

Emma

Factorie Discuss group.
To post, email: dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu

Luke Vilnis

Nov 16, 2017, 6:11:59 PM11/16/17
to dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu
I'm taking a bit of a poke around it now. It's having trouble compiling the scala-maven-plugin (NullPointerException) though everything's at the latest versions. More news to come...

Factorie Discuss group.
To post, email: dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu

Luke Vilnis

Nov 16, 2017, 7:07:31 PM11/16/17
to dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu
OK, it works fine to compile that plugin if you use Java 8 and only a couple fixes and it works on 2.12.4. Going to check in a branch soon.

Sujay Purkayastha

Nov 16, 2017, 9:31:13 PM11/16/17
to dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu
Factorie 2.11 does compile with Scala 2.12. However, we get into a runtime exception. On closer investigation into the jar, the classes does seem a whole lot different

java.lang.NoClassDefFoundError: scala/Function1$class

      at cc.factorie.variable.DiscreteDomain.<init>(DiscreteDomain.scala:36)

      at cc.factorie.variable.DiscreteDomain.<init>(DiscreteDomain.scala:39)

      at cc.factorie.variable.CategoricalDomain.<init>(CategoricalDomain.scala:51)

Thanks

Sujay

Emma Strubell

Nov 16, 2017, 9:38:16 PM11/16/17
to dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu
This error looks a bit like you might not have Scala on your classpath. Could you provide a minimal example which fails, or at least describe how you are using the jar?

Thanks,

Emma

Factorie Discuss group.
To post, email: dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu

Factorie Discuss group.
To post, email: dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu

Factorie Discuss group.
To post, email: dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu

Luke Vilnis

Nov 16, 2017, 9:58:35 PM11/16/17
to dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu
Factorie 2.11 certainly didn't compile with Scala 2.12 on my machine. That's why I made a new branch with a bunch of changes here: https://github.com/factorie/factorie/tree/scala-2.12

We will be making a new factorie 2.12 release soon once we nail down any other things we want to change and some Java 9 issues.

Factorie Discuss group.
To post, email: dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu

---

Factorie Discuss group.
To post, email: dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu

---

Factorie Discuss group.
To post, email: dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu

Factorie Discuss group.
To post, email: dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu

---

Luke Vilnis

Nov 16, 2017, 10:02:37 PM11/16/17
to dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu
This is the relevant issue BTW: https://github.com/factorie/factorie/issues/380

Sujay Purkayastha

Nov 16, 2017, 10:04:52 PM11/16/17
to dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu
We have Scala in classpath. We do not get the error when any minor version of Scala 2.11 is present in classpath. However, the moment we introduce Scala 2.12.0 or higher version, we get this error.

So the issue is not with classpath. When we look into the Scala library jar, it seems that Scala classes seems to have changed. Also, Scala is not compatible across releases. Please look at the release notes of Scala 2.12.0

Compatibility

Although Scala 2.11 and 2.12 are mostly source compatible to facilitate cross-building, they are not binary compatible. This allows us to keep improving the Scala compiler and standard library.

So Factorie needs to be built with Scala 2.12 in order us consuming applications to be able to upgrade.

Thanks
Sujay

Factorie Discuss group.
To post, email: dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu

---

Factorie Discuss group.
To post, email: dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu

---

Factorie Discuss group.
To post, email: dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu

Factorie Discuss group.
To post, email: dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu

---

Luke Vilnis

Nov 16, 2017, 10:11:25 PM11/16/17
to dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu
You should try building from the branch I just sent out and see if that helps.