Asking for compatibility of FACTORIE with MOA/Samoa framework

damianos melidis

Jan 6, 2017, 5:46:51 AM1/6/17
to Factorie
Dear Factorie developers,

Thanks for developing FACTORIE library.

I am really interested to use your framework for conditional random
fields (inference, parameters learning) but in data stream framework
like MOA(http://moa.cms.waikato.ac.nz/) or Samoa
(https://samoa.incubator.apache.org/) that are primarily written in
Java, so I am not sure if I develop my idea in MOA/Samoa including
FACTORIE library capabilities, Java and Scala will work together? If not
I have either to find a Java library of CRF (Mallet) or a Scala
framework for stream mining/learning.
Grateful to let me know your opinion.

Thank you in advance and Happy new year!,
Damianos

Emma Strubell

Jan 12, 2017, 9:44:58 AM1/12/17
to Factorie
Hi Damianos,

Java and Scala generally work together streamlessly; you can use Java APIs from Scala and vice versa. I don't think that using MOA/Samoa with Factorie should be a problem. My one suggestion would be to use Scala as the main language and call Java libraries from there since there are some cases in which the other direction can be tricky due to certain Scala functionality.

Hope this helps,

Emma

Factorie Discuss group.
To post, email: dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu

Damianos Melidis

Jan 13, 2017, 3:40:14 AM1/13/17
to dis...@factorie.cs.umass.edu
Dear Emma,

Thank you very much! I actually I need to design the inverse scenario using mainly Java with MOA framework and using only the library Factorie for the conditional random fields (CRF).

To this end, I will see work-arounds and may be ask again in the forum.

Many thanks,
Damianos