Welcome to the UI Interest Group!

Stephanie Leary

May 4, 2023, 12:20:24 PM5/4/23
to ui-g...@evergreen-ils.org
Good morning, everyone! Welcome to the new UI Interest Group! I'm so excited that you are all excited about collaborating on Evergreen's user interface design.

If you missed the conference presentation, I've added the slides at the bottom of our wiki page, along with the video of the lightning talk version (I'm not sure if the full session was recorded, but if it was I'll add that link when I get it):

The wiki page also now has my list of proposed projects for us to tackle. These are things we can work out amongst ourselves in documents and spreadsheets, for the most part; nobody needs to mess with code until we've reached a decision on what words/colors/sizes need to be changed.

I've created working documents for the modal button and setting group projects, which are linked in the project list. I will work on getting documents set up for the rest. I know everyone's ready to have some table column widths that make sense!

Are there any other small-ish projects that we should prioritize? Feel free to start a new conversation for anything you think should be on the short list.

I will schedule our first online meeting soon, with a repeat of the conference talk as an intro (it's only about 15 minutes) and lots of time to discuss our future directions.

Thanks for being here!

Stephanie Leary
Front End Developer
Equinox Open Library Initiative
stephan...@equinoxOLI.org
https://www.equinoxOLI.org
phone: 877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)

Benjamin Kalish

May 4, 2023, 1:52:53 PM5/4/23
to Stephanie Leary, ui-g...@evergreen-ils.org
Thanks so much, Stepahnie, for getting this started, and for all the accessibility work you have been doing!

Another aspect to consider is the organizational grouping: page titles, headings, pseudo headings, white space, borders, horizontal rules, colored regions, and all the other tools (advised or ill-advised) that can be used to subdivide the page and label or group content. One page that could particularly benefit from a consistent well thought approach to this is Patron Edit, but even on the pages that currently work well the lack of consistency can make for a disjointed experience.

Also, I feel like the staff client has a lot of creative use of colored backgrounds and colored text where no variation from the default is needed. Why is most of the text in the staff client MARC view red?

Benjamin Kalish
Forbes Library / 413-587-1012 / bka...@forbeslibrary.org

Support Forbes Library:
Currently reading: Word Nerd: Dispatches from the Games, Grammar, and Geek Underground by John D. Williams
Just Finished: Resurgence by C. J. Cherryh

For information about accessibility at the library, please see: http://forbeslibrary.org/accessibility/