Visual design basics

Stephanie Leary

Jun 11, 2024, 5:00:26 PMJun 11
to ui-g...@evergreen-ils.org
Good afternoon, all! I've been keeping an eye out for good articles on basic principles of UI design, and this one just came across my inbox, so I thought I'd share it with you all:

Note that we violate "closer elements should be lighter" all over the place, like the catalog search box and the item attributes editor. This is one reason I've been considering making all our page backgrounds darker, more like the new MARC editor.

Also, I recently had a chance to look through the 4th edition of The Non-Designer's Design Book by Robin Williams (not that one), and I'm happy to report that it's much, much better than the 3rd edition. It focuses primarily on print design for things like business cards and newsletters, but most of the principles apply to screen design as well.

In other news, I've updated our wiki page with June's agenda. We will be discussing keyboard navigation and shortcuts, as Elizabeth suggested. Please feel free to add to it!

Stephanie Leary
Front End Developer
Equinox Open Library Initiative
stephan...@equinoxOLI.org
https://www.equinoxOLI.org
phone: 877-OPEN-ILS (673-6457)

Ruth Davis

Jun 12, 2024, 6:41:52 AMJun 12
to Stephanie Leary, ui-g...@evergreen-ils.org
Stephanie,

Thank you!  Looking forward to taking a look at this later this morning.

Ruth Frasur Davis, Coordinator
Evergreen Community Development Initiative

Stephanie Leary

Jun 12, 2024, 5:08:17 PMJun 12
to ui-g...@evergreen-ils.org
Here's another one I forgot to send you all! "The Hardest Problem in Computer Science: Centering Things"

This site has a BRIGHT yellow background, and I apologize in advance for that. But the section on font bounding boxes is very informative.