Installing Eucalyptus on Ubuntu 14.04

Alaeddine Saadaoui

Apr 11, 2016, 7:45:26 PM4/11/16
to Eucalyptus Users
Dear all,
I would like to know how I could install Eucalytpus 4.2.1 on Ubuntu 14.04.
Thank you in advance for your help.

David Mitchell

Apr 13, 2016, 10:11:21 AM4/13/16
to Alaeddine Saadaoui, Eucalyptus Users
It's not a supported platform since the software versions and configurations are different between Ubuntu and Redhat and those packages are untested with Eucalyptus as well as the use of rpms not feasible. Also Ubuntu uses systems which Eucalyptus does not yet support. You're asking for a lot of pain trying to get it to work on Ubuntu, best to stick to CentOS or RHEL 6.x if it's available to you.

David Mitchell

Michael Chu

Apr 13, 2016, 6:07:59 PM4/13/16
to David Mitchell, Alaeddine Saadaoui, Eucalyptus Users
I wasn't able to set up 4.2.1 on CentOS 6.6 as the instructions from the 4.2.1 Eucalyptus FastStart Guide  as it seemed like there was way more manual configuration than setting up 3.4.2 via the FastStart ISO.

Here are the instructions for that if you would like to get Eucalyptus 3.4.2 setup.

1) Download Eucalyptus 3.4.2 FastStart ISO running CentOS Version 6.6 Server Core Minimal

2) Burn ISO to disk and follow the Eucalyptus 3.4.2 FastStart Guide

This process worked for me and I have 2 servers:
- 1 server running Cloud-In-A-Box (standalone cloud with no other setups required)
- 1 running FrontEnd with 3 nodes attached to the FrontEnd. (multisystem cloud)

If anyone knows of a fast start ISO for 4.2.1, please share as the setup seemed really daunting and complex compared to the 3.4.2. Too bad that 3.4.2 is EOL.

Please share any additional thoughts or whether anyone has found an ISO with faststart for 4.2.1 like the one shown in link above for 3.4.2.

Regards,

Michael Chu
DevOps Engineer

Michael Chu

Sep 4, 2016, 1:57:28 PM9/4/16
to David Mitchell, Alaeddine Saadaoui, Eucalyptus Users
Just updating this thread....

Seems like CentOS Version 6.7 isn't downloadable anymore via (http://mirrors.mit.edu/centos/6.7/isos/x86_64/)
Here's a fail proof way for you to get Eucalyptus going:

1) Get CentOS 6.7 minimal ISO via this torrent: http://vault.centos.org/6.7/isos/x86_64/CentOS-6.7-x86_64-minimal.torrent
2) yum install wget

For Cloud Controller :  sh eucalyptus-install
For Node Controller: sh eucalyptus-install --nc

Up and running within' 20 mins.

Done!

Michael - Devops Engineer

On Monday, April 11, 2016, Alaeddine Saadaoui <3alae...@gmail.com> wrote:
Dear all,
I would like to know how I could install Eucalytpus 4.2.1 on Ubuntu 14.04.
Thank you in advance for your help.

David Mitchell

David Mitchell

Sep 4, 2016, 8:22:18 PM9/4/16
to Michael Chu, Alaeddine Saadaoui, Eucalyptus Users
It runs on 6.8 just fine IME.
On Sun, Sep 4, 2016 at 2:05 PM Michael Chu <micha...@newzulu.com> wrote:
Most updated notes on this thread:
Other methods to get it going

4.3
bash <(curl -Ls eucalyptus.com/install) --nc will get 4.3 (use CentOS 7)

For 4.2.2 (CentOS 6.7 previously installed)
#eucalyptus irc channel
use git clone, then git checkout euca-4.2
then run the faststart/cloud-in-a-box.sh script manually from there
< mbacchi> that will give you 4.2.2 code
< mike_devops> thx @mbacchi!

4.2.2
Most recent git repo updated:
git checkout euca-4.2
git pull
cd eucalyptus/faststart/
sh cloud-in-a-box.sh nc
Inline image 1

Inline image 2

--

Michael Chu
DevOps Engineer

Michael - Devops Engineer

Michael Chu
DevOps Engineer

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/eucalyptus.com/group/euca-users/.

--
David Mitchell

Michael Chu

Sep 19, 2016, 9:56:28 AM9/19/16
to David Mitchell, Alaeddine Saadaoui, Eucalyptus Users
The new update for 6.8 came out after my thread so yes you are right. It now works on CentOS 6.8.

Regards,

Michael

Michael Chu
DevOps Engineer
micha...@newzulu.com

Michael Chu
DevOps Engineer

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/eucalyptus.com/group/euca-users/.

--
David Mitchell

Ben Ashmead

Sep 19, 2016, 10:17:02 AM9/19/16
to Eucalyptus Users, surge.m...@gmail.com, 3alae...@gmail.com
It's just missing from that particular mirror. You could grab it from one of the others - here, for instance: http://mirror.nsc.liu.se/centos-store/6.7/isos/x86_64/

Ben

Michael Chu
DevOps Engineer

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/a/eucalyptus.com/group/euca-users/.

Sourabh Maybhate

Mar 16, 2018, 2:59:59 AM3/16/18
to Eucalyptus Users

hi,
as im trying to create private cloud on ubuntu,i have installed euclyptus on ubuntu server.I just wanted to now what will be the next steps...?
Thanks

Metta Crawler

Mar 20, 2018, 7:36:21 AM3/20/18
to Eucalyptus Users
Here's my tutorial on how to get started, hope it helps you:

FredE Smit

May 29, 2018, 11:28:21 AM5/29/18
to Eucalyptus Users
why ? that garbage hasn't been supported in YEARS ;

Euca  only runs on Centos/RH-7

Ubuntu is the biggest piece of shit ever to released.