Downtown Access from Eastbound Riverside Traffic

Travis Machalek

Jun 26, 2024, 12:27:49 PM (5 days ago) Jun 26
to Trustees, Greg Muhonen, Ian Stewart, Paul Mieszala
Good morning Town Board,

Staff met this morning to discuss strategies to limit gridlock downtown during the remaining construction on the Downtown Estes Loop.

We have discontinued the use of an extended closure of the northbound lane on Riverside at Elkhorn as a strategy for managing traffic. Instead, we will be approaching this problem in a three-tiered manner:

1) We will be asking CFL and FCI to allow the use of both lanes on Riverside for traffic in the evenings and on weekends.

2) CSOs will manually increase the "green-light" time for northbound traffic on Riverside at the intersection of Riverside and Elkhorn.

3) If the above measures fail to prevent/alleviate a gridlock situation, CSOs will implement short-duration (one to two cycles of the traffic light) closures of the northbound lane on Riverside at the intersection with Elkhorn to clear gridlock.

We are meeting again on Monday morning to debrief the outcome of this new approach. If we have had to resort to short-duration closures to manage gridlock conditions, we will install directional signage east of the Riverside/Elkhorn intersection that provides information on how to return to downtown.

Best,

TM

Travis Machalek, ICMA-CM
Town Administrator
Town of Estes Park, CO

Frank Lancaster

Jun 26, 2024, 2:11:41 PM (5 days ago) Jun 26
to Travis Machalek, Greg Muhonen, Ian Stewart, Paul Mieszala

Thanks yo all for addressing this.

Frank

Kirby Hazelton

Jun 29, 2024, 7:47:37 AM (2 days ago) Jun 29
to Travis Machalek, Greg Muhonen, Ian Stewart, Paul Mieszala
Travis and Greg,

Thank you for this update, and for your work to mitigate concerns while keeping the project progressing. I drove through the construction (eastbound) at around 5:15 last night and again just now, and with the opening of the second lane on Riverside, it was free-flowing and fabulous!

Many thanks, too, to whomever updated the electric signage. I love that it says "downtown left lane" and "US36 right lane." Excellent job!

Kirby

Kirby Nelson-Hazelton
Town of Estes Park Trustee

Greg Muhonen

Jun 29, 2024, 1:21:04 PM (2 days ago) Jun 29
to Kirby Hazelton
Glad to hear!!
Greg Muhonen iPhone