Re: Soundbites/comments concerning the importance of Transparency

Mike Romero

Jan 26, 2021, 10:10:50 PM1/26/21
to Wendy Koenig, Wendy Rigby, Tim Mosier, Travis Machalek
 Thank you, Mayor.  I watched it and Tim is doing an article on the session as well. The link is below.

I had written Travis earlier hoping I could make a comment on this topic but I understand that is not allowable.  I just read your attachment and it is a well-written expose but unfortunately, it sounds like a political speech with all due respect. We and I have been very open with you and the town in regards to transparency and it goes beyond state laws, related codes, and rules and sometimes goes beyond quoting the company line. Sometimes it's talking in your voice, with your opinion or your commitment.

I personally have asked you and others via email about the VEP incident, and the Tabor suit and have yet to get any real information on the majority of my or Tim's questions. It is a shame that we had to talk to Eric to give the public what transpired in that entire VEP incident that cost the taxpayers a ridiculous amount of money. I believe the taxpayers deserved to know why this expenditure occurred.

Yes some questions were protected by the "personnel matter" but many of the questions asked were as simple as who is in charge, is he still working, etc, etc...not protected questions. The Tabor suit, although I understand the "no comment" in regards to its legality you all commented back in April and vowed to fix it therefore possibly limiting the Towns exposure to a lawsuit of this nature.
I would have thought that a common-sense response of some sort when served would have been appropriate for such an amount of money. I think it would have been professional to respond and was expected. Maybe something like, yes we have been sued but it is our intent as we said previously to address this and fix any issues, etc....but no comment and a quote based on legal counsel, not transparency!
"It took how long to get your new site up regarding this issue and what was said to the everyday taxpayers in this community about it prior to this?

Mayor, that is transparency, addressing the issues as an individual elected by the people for the people.  You do not have to jeopardize your legal standing to talk to the public you serve nor do those in your administration. Your confirmation in asking your question regarding the Town's transparency appeared to me as nothing but a show put on to show the community how you all are in compliance.....I think in reality we all expect more than the quoting of sunshine laws etc. Tell me how does public email provide transparency when you don't respond or only respond when it's a softball.

Thank you for your service and for allowing me to speak openly and with full transparency/honesty.

On Tue, Jan 26, 2021 at 6:49 PM Wendy Koenig <wko...@estes.org> wrote:
Attached please find my statements/soundbites concerning our Transparency study session information.

Wendy Koenig,
Mayor

--
Michael Romero