TIA Monthly Newsletter - June 2021

Stephanie Kucera

May 24, 2021, 2:01:30 PM5/24/21
to Teacher Incentive Allotment
TIA Monthly Newsletter
June 2021
Just-In-Time Tip
Be thinking about next year now! Is your LEA joining Cohort E? Does April 2022 seem really far away? The TIA process takes about a year. This is the time to gather a team and start wrapping your head around the work. ESC Region 12 will host a Cohort E kick-off on June 30 and September 13 (choose one). See details below.

Action Items

Cohort D

  • Make requested edits to your Cohort D application after receiving feedback from TEA. Reach out to ESC Region 12 if we can provide support around specific questions.

  • Finalize plans for summer professional development, along with implementation support for the 2021-22 school year.

  • Use the summer months to review district practices for calibration and student growth. Calendar out ongoing support for the coming school year. Ensure all campus administrators are engaged in these conversations. Reach out to your ESC Region 12 partners if you and your team need additional support in these areas.

  • Once your application is approved, pause to set dates and times to review the application with stakeholder groups. Keep this information in the forefront of district and campus communications as you prepare for the coming school year.

  • Make sure new teacher inservice and August inservice plans include communicating the details of your TIA plan. Remember business office staff will be a part of this conversation.

  • Ensure your district TIA website is up and running for the public with informative resources about the local designation system. Make this resource available to all stakeholders.

Cohort E (and Cohort F planning ahead)

  • Join the ESC Region 12 team for an in-person kick-off on June 30 or September 13.

  • Gather a committee - Begin pulling together district and campus level leaders who can help work through the process. It is recommended this committee be about 6-8 in number and that teacher leaders are a part of the committee.

  • Pause to consider your WHY. Why will you work alongside your teachers to create a local designation system? This is Success Factor 1 and the place to begin this work.

  • Select and keep calendar dates - Use current processes to help streamline the work and avoid meetings just for the sake of “meeting.” If your leadership team meets every Tuesday at 9:00 AM, make TIA a standing agenda item. If staff meetings are the 1st and 3rd Thursday of the month at 3:30 PM, make TIA a part of this time (even if it means asking the TIA folks to hang around for an additional 30 minutes).

  • Use the Readiness Checklists - Conduct a  gap analysis. When diving into any new initiative it is important to first assess where we are in relation to where we need to be. Use the Readiness Checklists and literally type out your responses to HOW you do each of these tasks. This language can be used when you actually begin working on the application at a later date. Note: The Cohort D Readiness Checklists are available and are very close to what will be released for Cohort E in October 2021.

  • Know the two drivers: teacher observation (Success Factor 4) and student growth (Success Factor 5) - Completing the application is what we refer to as Step 1. The teacher observation and student growth data is Step 2. The data is what affirms who will or will not earn a designation. Diving really deep into current practices and best practices will help ensure teachers earn the designations.

  • Be able to articulate the HOW - Throughout the conversations about TIA, you will be repeatedly asked HOW certain processes work in your LEA. The committee members, teachers and board members need to be able to articulate it. Think of this in terms of making sure your language is so clear that an outsider understands it.

  • Engage stakeholder groups throughout the process - We all want to do things for our teachers. Know and understand the difference between doing something WITH them and doing something FOR them. Designing a system that will challenge teachers to grow and move toward excellence in the areas of teacher observation and student growth is a time when we will need to define processes WITH them.

  • Commit to working on the work - Engaging in the TIA process will take time. Even if you attend a training session or join our Cohort E workgroup, the real work of engaging stakeholders and designing your local designation system must happen between those sessions. To appropriately design a local teacher designation system will take about 6-12 months. Start now. Have intentional conversations throughout the year to get feedback from stakeholder groups. Keep the committee engaged on a regular basis (hint: set the dates on the calendar and stick to it).

Resources

Webinars and training resources are located at the following link

Hot Topics / FAQs

What is the greatest need or lesson learned when getting started on the TIA process? The answers below were provided by Cohort D LEAs.

Lesson #1 - We repeatedly hear the importance of having a team to engage in this work. This may formally be called the District Stakeholder Development Committee, but sometimes committees are in name only, and one or two people end up taking responsibility for the work. TIA is an example of how we need district and campus level leaders including those with knowledge and expertise in spending, human resources, observation calibration, student growth data analysis, etc to take part. Let’s also be very intentional in ensuring we have teacher leaders engaged in the conversation. If the teachers don’t understand the local designation system, or perhaps they aren’t interested in participating, a whole new set of challenges may arise.

Lesson #2 - Get dates on the calendar and stick to it. When engaging in the TIA process of developing the local designation system, there will be meetings with stakeholders, intentional planning meetings with the district committee, and work time for various tasks. At a minimum, this work will require at least two 2 hour meetings each month as information is presented, feedback is received, and the language of the application is crafted.

Upcoming Dates
  • Last week of May - TEA feedback sent to LEAs via email

  • Mid-July - Notification of application status

Training

T-TESS Refresher and Calibration Practices: June 30, 9:00-12:00 - Session #241883

Introduction to the Teacher Incentive Allotment: June 30, 1:00-4:00 - Session #248536

Introduction to the Teacher Incentive Allotment: September 13, 9:00-12:00 - Session #248772

The TIA Newsletter will not be sent during the months of July and August. If you have questions or need assistance, please reach out to Stephanie Kucera at sku...@esc12.net

Contact Us
Questions or Concerns?

Stephanie Kucera