Re: [RC] Digest for ridecamp@endurance.net - 2 updates in 2 topics

Kathy sherman

Nov 23, 2022, 12:01:34 PM11/23/22
to ride...@endurance.net
What a wonderful story and yes, Les & Tulip were a great team. Good to hear that Tulip is still going strong at a new job.
Kathy

On Tue, Nov 22, 2022 at 11:55 PM <ride...@endurance.net> wrote:
Ridecamp EnduranceNet <ride...@gmail.com>: Nov 22 03:17PM -0800

With Thanksgiving and Christmas just around the corner, we want to say
Thank You! to both our readers and our advertisers! We appreciate all of
you, because without both of you, we wouldn't be here.

As you're shopping this season, please keep in mind our Advertisers who may
have just what you want and need.

May your holidays be horsie and warm (or cool!) with family and friends.

Merri and The Endurance.net Gang

Our Advertisers:

[image: BelesemoArabians.jpg]
Breeding Arabian horses for temperament and athleticism
<http://www.belesemo.com/>

[image: CypressTrailsBannerA.jpg]
Horse sales, boarding, trail riding, lessons, parties, events
<https://cypresstrailsranch.com/>

[image: TheDistanceDepot.png]
Custom Beta BioThane Tack, Apparel & Everything Endurance
<https://www.thedistancedepot.com/Default.asp>

[image: DWALogo.jpg]
Quality Arabians bred for Endurance <https://dwarabians.com/>

[image: EquipedicLogo.jpg]
Equipedic saddle pads - the ultimate in Equine comfort
<https://www.equipedic.com/>

[image: EuroXciserLogo.jpg]
Horse Exercises and Track Covers, Made in the USA <https://euroxciser.com/>

[image: HoughtTack.png]
Fine art & Leather and Hought Custom Endurance Tack <https://hought.com/>

[image: MossRockEndurance.png]
Quality Beta Biothane tack, made in the USA
<https://www.mossrockendurance.com/>

[image: RenegadeBanner.jpg]
The World's highest performing hoof boot <https://www.renegadehoofboot.com/>

[image: Slypner.jpg]
Your complete source for the Trail horse <https://www.slypnergear.com/>

[image: StephTeeterBanner.jpg]
Steph Teeter Fine Art <https://stephteeterart.com/>

[image: SynergistLogo.jpg]

Custom made saddles for all your riding needs
<https://www.synergistsaddles.com/>
Ridecamp EnduranceNet <ride...@gmail.com>: Nov 22 10:06AM -0800

*Karen Chaton visits 35-year-old Tulip, AERC's highest mileage horse
(22,280 mi), happily working as a therapy horse*

November 20 2022
by Karen Chaton

Yesterday I mentioned getting to see an old friend while I was at the
Cal-Neva Gratitude Ride & Drive. That old friend is Tulip.

For those that may not know who Tulip is - he is a 35 year old Morab
gelding that also happens to be the highest mileage endurance horse in the
sport of endurance. Well over 22,000+ miles over an incredibly long career.
Tulip's owner, Les Carr, passed away in 2015 and Tulip ended up in the
capable hands of his wife Jill and daughter Cecilia.

I was excited to learn that Tulip was alive and well and has a new job!
He's been working as a therapy horse at the ROP Sierra Sage Equestrian
Center. It turns out that Tulip has never liked being retired, which is
understandable. Endurance horses love going places and seeing things. They
thrive on it. When they are suddenly getting left home, especially when
other horses are coming and going they absolutely know what they are
missing and in Tulips case each time he was retired he got depressed.

Tulip's second career (therapy horse is at least his 3rd career, btw) was
as an outrider on wagon train rides. The type where they travel in large
groups over various passes in the Sierra's - like highway 50, 49 and 88. I
remember when my junior excitedly told me that she got to ride Tulip and
asked me if I knew who he was.

Of course I knew Tulip. I had ridden a lot of miles alongside him with
Chief, and one time Les even invited me to ride Tulip on a 50. We had a
great time. Tulip has a well known reputation for bucking people off. Tulip
did try to buck with me many times but he wasn't serious and by the middle
of the ride he stopped.

There was many a time that we saw Les getting back on after getting bucked
off at a ride start. Once during a ride I was trotting along in a group to
look over and see Tulip trotting alongside me with no Les.

Cecilia told me that within 30 days of going to the therapy center that
Tulip had gained 100 pounds, got his sparkle back and is loving his new
job. It is clear that Tulip is being extremely well cared for, has good
weight, his feet look fabulous and Tulip does indeed have a sparkle in his
eye. I'd like to think that he remembered me as he came over and was very
friendly. I brought a baggie of Strategy with me to feed him, and he
enjoyed every bit not losing any so being 35 isn't affecting his ability to
eat.

When we first rode up on Jovi and Apollo I could see a grey horse running
around, quite frisky. I didn't know yet from a distance that it was Tulip
(it was). It was nice to see an old friend looking happy and healthy.

Ridecamp EnduranceNet

Nov 26, 2022, 10:47:08 AM11/26/22
to ride...@endurance.net
I'm was so happy to hear about Tulip too!