[Consider This] [Endurance.Net: Consider this...] Dewormer's Effect on Scratches

Endurance.Net

Oct 4, 2015, 10:59:34 AM10/4/15
to consid...@endurance.net
Thehorse.com - Full Article

By Martin Krarup Nielsen, DVM, PhD, Dipl. EVPC
Aug 28, 2015

Q. I have read several articles about scratches this year, and I never see the solution that without fail clears up my horses’ scratches. For my horses, if I deworm a couple of times with ivermectin/praziquantel a week or two apart, their scratches disappear. I don’t have to put any topicals on or scrape them off. I’m wondering why I have never read about this.

A. First of all, scratches is a skin condition of the lower limbs sometimes caused by a pathogen, be it a virus, bacterium, fungus, or parasite. To answer your question it would help to know more about your horses. What type of environment do they live in, and how do these scratches cases present—is there a seasonal occurrence, or do they appear year-round? Where on your horses are they located? What type of horse do you have? This information would help with identifying the most likely explanation. However, here are a few possibilities for why you saw scratches relief after deworming...

Read more here:
http://www.thehorse.com/articles/35714/dewormers-effect-on-scratches?utm_source=Newsletter&utm_medium=lameness&utm_campaign=09-02-2015

--
Posted By Endurance.Net to Endurance.Net: Consider this... at 10/04/2015 08:59:00 AM

Endurance.Net

Oct 4, 2015, 10:59:34 AM10/4/15
to ride...@endurance.net

Don Huston

Oct 4, 2015, 12:55:53 PM10/4/15
to ride...@endurance.net

Several years ago I ordered a case (8 big jars I think)of an off brand Zinc Oxide.

Every time my horses started to get any strange roughness, inflamed skin, white scabby stuff, scratches, whatever, on their lower legs, I would smear on lots of the zinc oxide and scrub it in and leave it. When it got caked with dirt I would hose it with a nozzle (hard pointed stream) to remove the dirt from the hair but the cream always stayed on the skin. If the redness was not gone in 2-3 days I would add more cream. I never use any kind of soap or shampoo on my horses. In every case, whatever was attacking the horses legs, would heal up within 7-10 days.

Before using zinc oxide I tried every cream, cortisone, powdered captan, antibiotic, wormer, you name it. Zinc has been the best.

Also….on the advice from an old cowboy buddy….never again have I trimmed or cut off that tuft of hair that grows down from the back of the ankle just above the pastern. It serves as a drain to keep most of sweat from running down the leg and onto the back of the pastern. That tuft of hair makes the sweat drop off behind the hoof and IMHO helps reduce and/or prevent irritation to that sensitive back side of the pastern where scratches always seems to start.

Don Huston

Dr. Marie Feuer / Life Path Healings

Oct 4, 2015, 12:58:01 PM10/4/15
to ride...@endurance.net

I bought zinc oxide powder and arrowroot powder and mix them 50/50 use it for everything. Don on the right idea but if you don't like the ointment use the powder to put it under saddle to. It's like baby powder but it's a much stronger version. Clip  the hair is a great idea this is the sign of a weakened immune system that makes the horses susceptible unless of course you're living in a horrible environment so you might check your diet

Beverly

Oct 5, 2015, 8:35:02 PM10/5/15
to ridecamp at Endurance.Net, consid...@endurance.net, ride...@gmail.com
Try WELL-HORSE.COM