Headlamp for a horse

Roger Ward

Jul 28, 2015, 11:59:46 AM7/28/15
to ridecamp at Endurance.Net
We are riding a night time sweep for Tevis this year. Has any one tried mounting a headlamp on their horse' headstall? If so. Would you post about your experience. Last year I mounted a lamp on his breast collar and the beam seemed to narrow for him on tight switchbacks. Seems like a head worn lamp for the horse would let him put the light where he needs it. Any comments?
thanks
Roger Ward

Laney Humphrey

Jul 28, 2015, 12:12:14 PM7/28/15
to ride...@endurance.net
I think I'm correct that most experienced night time riders feel that
horses' night vision is way better than ours and good enough for them
to see where they are going even if we can't. Whatever glow sticks or
lamps they attach to their horses are not intended to improved their
horses' vision. The lights make the horse more visible to others (and
perhaps improve the rider's vision a tiny bit). I'd think a headlamp
on the headstall could really mess up the horse's night vision, to say
nothing of making the rider very motion sick and of annoying nearby
riders.
Laney
> --

mari...@aol.com

Jul 28, 2015, 12:27:45 PM7/28/15
to ride...@endurance.net
I share Laney's thoughts. The only thing worse than a headlamp on a rider would be a headlamp on a horse.  The horse can see in the dark.  Before glow sticks the horses found their way just fine. Rides carried a flash light in case they needed to make a tack adjustment or check a shoe, but that was it. Julie

Teena Padilla

Jul 28, 2015, 12:30:19 PM7/28/15
to ride...@endurance.net
I agree with both also, headlamps are more for the human not horse. headlamp actually makes it harder for the horse to see, throw some glow sticks and if you need a light every so often turn yours on, the moon will be full so you'll be able to see pretty good

On Tue, Jul 28, 2015 at 9:27 AM, marinera via ridecamp at Endurance.Net <ride...@endurance.net> wrote:
I share Laney's thoughts. The only thing worse than a headlamp on a rider would be a headlamp on a horse.  The horse can see in the dark.  Before glow sticks the horses found their way just fine. Rides carried a flash light in case they needed to make a tack adjustment or check a shoe, but that was it. Julie

Laney Humphrey

Jul 28, 2015, 12:35:06 PM7/28/15
to ride...@endurance.net
Julie should know!!! Laney

Wong, Melody S (3917)

Jul 28, 2015, 1:06:08 PM7/28/15
to ride...@endurance.net
For those that are local and ride the Tevis trails and for those who have ridden it more than two times, you and your horse would know the trails much better.
There are ways in which riders who choose to use a headlamp and ride with them ON, can be courteous  to other riders and horses.  Please don’t chastise those that choose to use headlamps, but perhaps advise them how they can be more considerate and not hinder other riders/horses.
BTW, the moon may be full, but it doesn’t cast much light when its behind the mountain or you are in thick tree cover.
Glow sticks on the breast color do seem to cast enough light to help the rider feel more comfortable if new to the trail or have balance challenges in the dark.

Some options:
  1. ride fast and get through the California Loop in the daylight.  Hah!  Tough to do for most teams.
  2. Ride behind a local/veteran from Foresthill on.
  3. Ride behind a local/veteran ON a grey horse.
Good luck Tevis teams and have fun …. Including crews!
Melody

Debbie Parsons

Jul 28, 2015, 1:21:19 PM7/28/15
to ride...@endurance.net
I agree with the others regarding headlamps. I do not care for them and I especially do not care to be in front of a very bright one on the narrow trail like Tevis as they cast a black hole in front of the horse. I do carry one when I ride at night but it's usually in a pack and not on my helmet.

However, in this case, Roger will be riding as a sweep rider. Definitely carry one or have it on your helmet. You may need to help a rider in trouble and it will come in handy. I would not mount in on the horse's head as the horse can see pretty well without it and it is the rider that needs to be able to direct which way the light goes. And I would probably not have it on unless I came up on someone who needed some assistance. Glow sticks along the breast collar will cast a bit of light without being obnoxious. And quite by accident, I found a short string of LED battery operated Christmas lights woven around the breast collar puts out a nice light without being annoying.

Peztl had some nice bright headlamps. They are certainly more expensive than what you can get at Walmart but I was really surprised on the light difference. You can probably find a good one for around $30. REI has quite a selection. Be sure to carry extra batteries.

Debbie
> --
> --

stephanie teeter

Jul 28, 2015, 2:13:01 PM7/28/15
to Ridecamp Teeter
Also agree. If one must have a light, it's far better to put it someplace (like a helmet) where it is easy to switch it on and off.

Steph

On Jul 28, 2015, at 10:27 AM, marinera via ridecamp at Endurance.Net <ride...@endurance.net> wrote:

I share Laney's thoughts. The only thing worse than a headlamp on a rider would be a headlamp on a horse.  The horse can see in the dark.  Before glow sticks the horses found their way just fine. Rides carried a flash light in case they needed to make a tack adjustment or check a shoe, but that was it. Julie

Roger Ward

Jul 29, 2015, 10:03:13 AM7/29/15
to ridecamp at Endurance.Net, roger_and...@yahoo.com

Thanks all for the quick response.   I found a low power Coleman headlamp with two red leds that makes a wide red beam.  I will use that for the breast collar instead of glow sticks.  I can't say that I care for the light they put out. I have a three way headlight for my helmet which also has a low power red setting.  For flood lighting in case of complications, I will pack traditional flashlights.   I have pre-ridden that section of trail 2 times paying particular attention to milestones.  It is really a very easy trail from Peachstone (Cal-2) to Francisco.

thanks
Roger Ward

Lisa Jordan

Jul 29, 2015, 10:52:52 PM7/29/15
to ridecamp at Endurance.Net
As one who dislikes headlamps primarily due to my very experienced horse having vision-balance issues when there were moving lamps behind him, I will say that red colored headlamps are far less offensive. The balance issue was minimal to none with red lamps.