[Endurance Riding: News] British endurance racing rips up Sheikh Mohammed sponsorship deal

Endurance.Net

Feb 28, 2015, 3:40:08 PM2/28/15
to ne...@endurance.net
Telegraph.co.uk - Full Article

Endurance GB takes 'difficult' decision because of horse welfare crisis in Middle East

By Pippa Cuckson, Equestrian Correspondent
4:05PM GMT 28 Feb 2015

Endurance GB has dropped a proposed “blanket” sponsorship deal from Sheikh Mohammed Al Maktoum’s Meydan corporation for this season, as the crisis about horse welfare in the Middle East sport rages on.

EGB’s decision represents a second major setback for the UAE in 48 hours, following the International Equestrian Federation’s (FEI) cancellation of the UAE’s FEI rides scheduled for March, in the wake of widespread flouting of the rules, welfare concerns and global outrage about Splitters Creek Bundy, the horse who fatally broke both forelegs in a race ride on January 31.

EGB chairman John Hudson told members: “Sponsorship negotiations with Meydan will be suspended until further notice. This has been an extremely difficult decision but we believe, in view of the current national and international sensitivities and pressures surrounding the sport of endurance, it would not now be in Endurance GB’s interests to enter into a sponsorship agreement...

Read full article here:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/11442015/British-endurance-racing-rips-up-Sheikh-Mohammed-sponsorship-deal.html

--
Posted By Endurance.Net to Endurance Riding: News at 2/28/2015 12:39:00 PM

Truman Prevatt

Feb 28, 2015, 4:26:52 PM2/28/15
to Ridecamp Teeter
Another country steps forward to show their values and take a stand - even if it might cost them.  Where is the AERC?  Its silence is deafening.  Good on the British.

Truman

--
"The greater our knowledge increases, the greater our ignorance unfolds."
   - John F. Kennedy

Barbara MCrary

Feb 28, 2015, 5:31:29 PM2/28/15
to tpre...@mindspring.com, Ridecamp Teeter

I’m so glad the Brits stepped up to the plate on this issue. It obviously is going to be a tough loss for them, since the UAE has so much investment in horse facilities in the UK, but it was a great and noble decision. I’m afraid the UAE has tarnished its reputation worldwide. I guess they think money can buy anything, and it’s good to see numerous countries say “no” to that concept.

Barbara

Dawn Carrie

Feb 28, 2015, 11:41:06 PM2/28/15
to ridecamp

The Brits have huevos as well...and are willing to give up big money to show 'em. Good going Britain.
Waiting on AERC...<crickets chirping>

Dawn

Diane Trefethen

Mar 1, 2015, 2:35:38 AM3/1/15
to ride...@endurance.net
I know it seems like AERC is taking its sweet ass time about responding to the
Group VII situation but you have to realize that AERC is not the United States
or the Canadian FEI federation. Americans who want action against the 2016 WEC
need to redirect their anger and frustration toward USEF. THAT is the
organization that is lagging. That is the organization that can do what
Switzerland, Belgium and Great Britain have done. AERC can not. As I pointed out
to Terre, AERC cannot threaten to boycott the WEC because AERC isn’t going to
send a team no matter WHERE it is held. USEF is the one that is letting the US
look like it can accept horse abuse as the price to play. USEF and the Canadian
federation. Let’s not forget that the Canucks have kept silent though all this too.

Actually, there is one other group that could speak out and has been completely
silent on this matter, even more silent than AERC and that group is AERC-I. THEY
could have demanded (and still can) that USEF boycott the WEC unless the venue
is changed because they actually have some skin in the international game. They
don’t have to wait to do this. They could do it tomorrow. Nothing AERC does can
touch USEF but if AERC-I challenges them with the threat to cease cooperating
with them and instead explore the possibility of organizing an alternate World
Endurance Championship with like-minded FEI national federations, that would
constitute a serious rebuke to USEF's failure to act.

Diane Trefethen
AERC #2691
West Region

Maryben Stover

Mar 1, 2015, 3:19:45 AM3/1/15
to ride...@endurance.net
Except AERC I cannot do that either. It is an AERC committee and cannot act independently any more than the rules committee or the junior committee etc. or any of the other committees. The only difference is that they have their own funds. But they cannot spend any of it without board approval.

Sent from my iPhone
> --
> --

Lisa Jordan

Mar 1, 2015, 10:55:15 AM3/1/15
to ride...@endurance.net
I applaud the Brits for ending the proposed contract with the Sheik. I believe it sets a good example, but is a bit less of an heroic effort than it appears. Let's not forget that this contract was agreed upon a very short time ago. I was aghast that UK Endurance members voted to accept the sponsorship offer when it was proposed approximately two months ago.
The situation as it has unfolded would be akin to the AERC accepting an offer to sponsor AERC for three years by an organization that has been under scrutiny for some time and deciding to tear up the contract once "the unforgettable photo" that solidifies the reason for scrutiny became public. So, yes, I applaud the Brits, but was saddened that they didn't simply say no when the offer was on the table.

Joe Long

Mar 1, 2015, 1:43:57 PM3/1/15
to ride...@endurance.net
That seems to me to be another strong argument in favor of AERC-I becoming an independent organization separate from the AERC.

March 1, 2015 at 1:19 AM
Except AERC I cannot do that either. It is an AERC committee and cannot act independently any more than the rules committee or the junior committee etc. or any of the other committees. The only difference is that they have their own funds. But they cannot spend any of it without board approval.

Sent from my iPhone

--
Joe Long  aka ChipRider
jl...@chiprider.com

Lynn White

Mar 2, 2015, 10:26:43 AM3/2/15
to ridecamp
Dawn, I think you meant to say "cojones".  The word "huevos" means eggs in Spanish.  I think Spain has huevos on this though...

On Sun, Mar 1, 2015 at 8:55 AM, Lisa Jordan <ridi...@gmail.com> wrote:
I applaud the Brits for ending the proposed contract with the Sheik.  I believe it sets a good example, but is a bit less of an heroic effort than it appears. Let's not forget that this contract was agreed upon a very short time ago.   I was aghast that UK Endurance members voted to accept the sponsorship offer when it was proposed approximately two months ago.
The situation as it has unfolded would be akin to the AERC accepting an offer to sponsor AERC for three years by an organization that has been under scrutiny for some time and deciding to tear up the contract once "the unforgettable photo" that solidifies the reason for scrutiny became public.  So, yes, I applaud the Brits, but was saddened that they didn't simply say no when the offer was on the table.

Dawn Carrie

Mar 2, 2015, 10:37:01 AM3/2/15
to ridecamp
Yes, I know huevos means eggs...just a euphemism around here.  LOL

Dawn

Kathy Mayeda

Mar 2, 2015, 11:56:44 AM3/2/15
to RideCamp List
Yep, huevos is interchangeable with cojones here in my neck of the woods too!  I just moved to San Martin, CA where the Mexicans ride on their prancing horses in front of my house on the way to to the convenience store to hang out.  I grew up in Silicon Valley before it became Silicon Valley on my dad's chrysanthemum nursery with Mexican labor, and went to a high school that was 37% Latino - predominantly Mexican - at that time.

Lynn White

Mar 2, 2015, 2:08:20 PM3/2/15
to ridecamp
The Mexican lady I work with says "Cojones"  to mean courgage.   But she's from sourthern Mexico.  Probably a euphanism to use Huevos to mean courage.   Though I wouldn't know why.   Kind of like how "Choppers" has so many meanings in the US.

Kathy Mayeda

Mar 2, 2015, 6:04:19 PM3/2/15
to RideCamp List
Yep, it's like us saying balls...  Cojones means testicles and those in Spanish speaking areas would recognize it as such, as would if you say huevos in the same context as "courage".

K.