Help to Re-home April The Filly

Roger Rittenhouse

Oct 26, 2014, 1:07:33 PM10/26/14
to ride...@endurance.net
A few failed attempts to re-home April. She is 6months now.
Needs to be gone
Carol cannot ride -  not weaned. Best way to do this is move her out.
We really want to get in some riding around our new place.
We cannot both go out and ride.
Now that we have a trailer we would like to haul out also.

I will not take the baby out on trail -free run-  never did that  never will also no ponying.

So asking RC to help out with advice  OR someone who may want her  FREE.

I am placing ads on all the common horse-for-sale sites.
I have not used CList yet  but I think I will try. I can say no sale if I dont like the rider.

The ads have here listed at $400  but for the right person she is free.

I will get some new pictures and videos up later, some here but not  a 'sales'  setup
http://imageevent.com/vmaxept/horses/apriltwhfilly/april6monthsseptoct

Thanks
Roger R

Karen Everhart

Oct 26, 2014, 2:17:21 PM10/26/14
to ride...@endurance.net
Roger our rescue would be willing to take her if you are unable to find her a new, satisfactory, home.

 She would have to be able to cross state lines (Coggins and health papers) and have her baby vaccinations (EWT-WN and rabies.  No flu, rhino or strangles needed to come here) which the series of 2 shots should be started at 6 months, anyway so you likely have that in process.

Transport will be a hurdle but perhaps we (Ridecamp) can find folk willing to do partial haul transports from point to point with safe haven locations for rest so she does not have to be on the trailer from TN to KS too long at one time.

Rainbow Meadows will provide her refuge as long as it takes to find her a forever home.  Our adoption requirements are stringent and she would never be at risk of mistreatment or slaughter.  If her adopter was no longer able to care for her our adoption agreement requires that she return here to the rescue.

So keep me in mind as an option.

You can reach me at rainbowme...@gmail.com

You can view our website at
Rainbowmeadows ranch.com

Karen Everhart MEd
316-648-5082
Executive director; co-founder
Rainbow Meadows Equine Rescue and Retirement, Inc.

Dolores Arste

Oct 26, 2014, 2:45:05 PM10/26/14
to ridecamp
I hauled two PMU babies from PA to MN. I only stopped overnight. The
babies stayed on the stock trailer with no problem. The babies even
laid down while we were driving.

Also brought two 1.5 YO rescues from AR to NY the same way. Long
haul, one stop overnight. They stayed on the open trailer and even
laid down at night.

None of the 4 were halter broke so getting off was not an option.

Hope that helps with the trailering thoughts.

Warmly,
Dolores
> "RidecampRedistributed" group.
> email to ridecampredistri...@googlegroups.com.

Karen Everhart

Oct 26, 2014, 3:12:10 PM10/26/14
to ride...@endurance.net
Thanks Delores. If she were not alone I would be less concerned about the hauling.

It sounds like she will be "weaned" when she gets on the trailer which is highly stressful, then the lonely haul and the orientation to a new home. Tons of stress on a baby. If we can minimize some of the stress by shortening the movement time on the trailer it might be easier on her.

Karen Everhart MEd
316-648-5082
Executive director; co-founder
Rainbow Meadows Equine Rescue and Retirement, Inc.
Rainbowmeadowsranch.com

Roger Rittenhouse

Oct 26, 2014, 3:17:07 PM10/26/14
to ride...@endurance.net
  Karen
She has no shots.
Was hoping to move her around TN or close without doing that.
Coggins-  I will call a vet- I do not have one - yet- but have a few numbers to call. Farm call  out here in the wild is difficult.

I guess if I give her the shots that should be OK? I can keep the vials Hopefully that would be  OK with what ever vet I get.
I have to order them. I give separate vacs  WNV  then followed a week later EWE+Tet.

Rabies? I never give that. So she needs that to travel.  Only the vet can give that here in TN. So when I do the coggins -vet will give rabies.

Transport costs - I could pay for some of that.
I would rather spend more money on her then let her go to a  gaited horse jerk. --or any yahoo that might abuse her.
I will be posting a number of ads this week after I get better pictures.  After the coggins and shots are done, that will be a good month. The ads will be run for 3 months. I might get some inquires.

If nothing by end of Nov... I would be inclined to move her to you.

She has been wormed one time.

Thanks
RR

Roger Rittenhouse

Oct 26, 2014, 3:21:15 PM10/26/14
to ride...@endurance.net
  I have no place to put her to start the weaning process. The folks across the road are qtr horse breeders.. A cut about a horsey-mill. They have nice stock  but the place is run down
They have a weaning stall I could pay to use.  I might try it and see how it goes... IF the stall is really safe.

Karen Everhart

Oct 26, 2014, 4:10:57 PM10/26/14
to ride...@endurance.net
Being weaned will be one less stressor.  However, don't think that because she is away from mom that she won't start nursing immediately upon return.  If you move her to the neighbors then move her back again, you may have wasted all of that energy and time.

My suggestion is that if you anticipate her coming to Rainbow Meadows you leave her with mom until we arrange transport. If you anticipate her going to someone more local certainly that's a decision that you'll need to make. But our experience here at the rescue with mares that come in pregnant and foal here and stay on their dams for six months, weaning is predominately a dam decision. We can separate the horses for even as much as three months and as soon as the baby is back with mama, if mama says okay, then the baby begins to nurse again. If the dam says "I'm done" then she probably has her baby weaned before we intervene.

Regarding vaccinations, our horses live 100% of the time on 240 acres of pasture. We have the typical rabies Victoire mammals here: coyotes, raccoons, skunks, etc. since a rabies vaccine is likely the cheapest insurance anyone can pay for regarding the rabies virus, we vaccinate everything for rabies every year, all mammals, including our barn cats and goats.
In Kansas we cannot vaccinate for rabies, it has to be veterinarian administered, and we also seek a rabies certificate of vaccination. Rabies is not required for transport nor is the certificate if you choose to vaccinate her, however it is a fatal disease if contracted.

You are welcome to vaccinate for EWT- West Nile. We do that here also. I would simply need to know that she is had the initial vaccine and then she will need a booster at 4 to 6 weeks. I would like to know what product you use. Here we use Vetera Gold

Roberta Jo Lieberman

Oct 26, 2014, 10:49:45 PM10/26/14
to ride...@endurance.net
There is a method called gradual weaning where the mare and foal can still see each other through a (for example) chain-link or horse-safe ("no climb") wire fence but the baby cannot nurse. Is she eating well on her own now?

And.... don't make the mistake I made with Equus the Foal back in 1977! We tried to 'wean' him by putting him on a two-horse trailer and taking him away from his dam KY Kharousel.

Instead---take the mare and foal together to the new home, get the baby settled in to a secure area, then reload the mare and take her back to your place.

Have you had them both on a trailer together? Hopefully it's a stock trailer. At a minimum, I would start feeding them on a stock trailer so they get used to walking on and off on their own.

And don't give vaccinations closer than a week before she leaves or you will only compound the stress. And don't give her too many at the same time....

Just my two cents. :)

Good luck with it all.....

Bobbie

Laney Humphrey

Oct 26, 2014, 11:10:00 PM10/26/14
to ride...@endurance.net
All I can add is that Ridecampers have come thru again with lots of
good, encouraging advice and support.
Laney

Cindy K

Oct 28, 2014, 10:14:56 AM10/28/14
to ride...@endurance.net
Mustang Alley is a horse rescue in Greenville,Tenn.

Roger Rittenhouse

Oct 29, 2014, 4:49:11 PM10/29/14
to ride...@endurance.net
 It  appears a local will be picking up April on Fri.
He came out today. Liked her. He is  a very experienced older horseman.  Did a few things with April and said she was great.
He came recommended by a girl I knew when we lived in Reliance  8 yrs ago.
He has a colt born April 8th... He wants then to grow up together. He is working -teaching 2 grandchildren  how to work with horses. These 2 babies are going to be their project horses.
Hope that  works out.

My impression was he should be  good. I know where he lives. He said I could over and visit any time.

So unless he backs out - my little girl is going to a new home.

Dolores Arste

Oct 29, 2014, 4:56:11 PM10/29/14
to ridecamp
Cheers Roger.

Dolores
> --
> --

> email to ridecamp+u...@endurance.net.

Karen Everhart

Laney Humphrey

Oct 29, 2014, 11:35:40 PM10/29/14
to ride...@endurance.net
That's fantastic, Roger! From your description, it sounds like a
wonderful home. Now you and Carol can get out and enjoy the trails.
Laney

Robert Reed

Oct 30, 2014, 7:11:47 AM10/30/14
to ride...@endurance.net
Hi Karen,
Since Roger has had good news about April and won't be sending her your way.I'll still pursue finding a transport company for Tori. If I can't find one then my hubby and I will most likely make the trip. At this point we have no time until the first of Dec. Hopefully we can find somebody that is good but not to expensive. Would you happen to know of somebody? I'll keep in touch and let you know what is going on. Have you heard anything from the lady in NJ.?
Thanks,
Linda Reed
410-489-7430

Karen Everhart

Oct 30, 2014, 9:22:16 AM10/30/14
to ride...@endurance.net
Ok.
Sure hope the guy is not a killer.  The "I have grandkids I am wanting to get horses for" is the line used here by the jerks.

Who looks for baby horses for young grandkids????  Ugh!! Worries me so much but I know if I say anything it will likely be seen as sour grapes because I won't get April. But let me tell you I have all the horses I need.  I just don't want any horse mistreated or were shipped to slaughter.

Nothing from the lady in New Jersey at this point. I really don't have a good transporter that I know about.  We've only used a couple in 10 years.

Karen Everhart MEd
316-648-5082
Executive director; co-founder
Rainbow Meadows Equine Rescue and Retirement, Inc.

Karen Everhart

Carla Richardson

Oct 30, 2014, 9:41:01 AM10/30/14
to ridecamp (E-mail)

Karen,

I can understand your concern, but the man was recommended by someone Roger knows very well, and he lives nearby.  Also, he's invited Roger to visit.  As far as wanting young horses to teach his grandkids, if he knows what he's doing  (and Roger said he appeared to be a good horseman) there's no problem there.

I know you've seen a lot of bad stuff  because of what you do.  But things aren't always bad and this sounds like a great solution to me.

Carla Richardson

Karen Everhart

Oct 30, 2014, 10:02:30 AM10/30/14
to ride...@endurance.net
Carla you are absolutely correct.  Unfortunately, being in rescue, we are often drawn into things which are worse than they seem also.

I have owned horses since 1981.  The only horse that I ever sold was in 1991. A man came to my home with his 12-year-old daughter.  He told me the horse would be a perfect match for his daughter.   He provided me a verbal assurance that if he needed to rehome the horse for any reason the horse would come back to me. Two weeks after selling BJ, he disappeared from the pasture.  The man refused to tell me where he was.   He was a big quarter horse, very well fleshed, and while we don't have proof, the suspicion is strong that he was sold to slaughter.  As a result I am always extra cautious.

My wish for Roger and April is simple and singular: that she have a safe and healthy future.

Karen Everhart MEd
316-648-5082
Executive director; co-founder
Rainbow Meadows Equine Rescue and Retirement, Inc.

Roger Rittenhouse

Nov 1, 2014, 8:54:30 PM11/1/14
to ride...@endurance.net
  To close this out.
I sure feel your concerns Karen.

They came  on Fri  before the bad WX arrived.
This man is very  well versed with how to handle  young ones. He had a young boy  like 18?  along to help.
Now the kid was a bit heavy handed. I explained how April was trained and she did not need  jerking around. The  man agreed and told the kid to let up.

The loading went well after that. Loaded Tasha first. Asked April to load- of course she would not. The  boy still tried to pull he on. Told him again to stop,.
Got the butt rope. The new owner and I kept her close to the back of the trailer, told the kid to keep ahold but not to jerk or pull hard.
Picked up her front hoof put it in the trailer and in she went.
Told the kid - thats how  to load her.
Owner was very please.

Tied her off  unloaded Tasha closed the door and they left.

Owner called Fri evening. She did well with the 40 min trip. She met the colt - her new buddy, then put in a stall. She was doing  OK with her hay. The colt was in the stall next to her. Owner said he will leave her stalled for a day or 2  with walk about time.  Then in the small paddock for  ? then out with the colt.

Appears this is a good situation. Sounds all good.
BUT one never knows.  I can go see if I want to. I might do that.  But then  out of sight  out of mind. What I dont know wont hurt me.. . and so on.

She is gone  hopefully for her good.  I sure did not want her over the winter, or to spend xx$ to ship her to Karen.

The mare Tasha  is doing better today.  Calling less.
 Real early hit of winter- cold rain snow wind..
I do miss April but stayed busy today with  projects.
Letting her go was hard  but I really did not want her.

WX getting nice Monday  hope we BOTH can get in a short ride.

How long will it take for the mare to dry up? no more milk?   I guess she should stop making milk with  no nursing. Do I need to get her a shot?  Think nature will take care it?

Thanks to all for the support
RogerR

Laney Humphrey

Nov 1, 2014, 10:50:54 PM11/1/14
to ride...@endurance.net
Glad all went well, Roger. Maybe you'll stop missing her about the
time the mare's milk dries up - lol! You did the right thing by not
keeping her when you had no use for her. Sounds like you found a good
home for her and that's the best. Keeping fingers crossed that it all
works out well and that you two can get out for a ride on Monday.
Laney

SMW

Nov 2, 2014, 10:23:30 AM11/2/14
to Roger Rittenhouse, ridecamp
As far as the mare goes, do nothing.  She will stop producing on her own.  With over 35 years of breeding 2-7 foals a year we never had a problem with a mare.  I did have a client who had a mare get mastitis every time they weaned, finally found out they were "milking her out to relieve the pressure." They stopped and the mare diried up with no complications.  The bag will go down on its own after about 2-3 days.

Sounds like you found a great home for her.

Sharon

(\__/)
(='.'=)

Carla Richardson

Nov 2, 2014, 12:22:38 PM11/2/14
to ridecamp (E-mail)

Oh that's the wrong way, to milk a mare, Sharon is absolutely correct.  Mares dry up easily if left alone.  If you milk them, they keep producing milk.

Carla Richardson