Rescue Mare Starr April Training

Roger Rittenhouse

Apr 22, 2014, 3:12:42 PM4/22/14
to ride...@endurance.net
I am working Starr almost every day. Some days we do only ground work. I try to ride at least every other day.  I went though the pile of bits I have none really worked for her. She prefers the Cowboy Jr Short Shanked double broken snaffle.
I have left her bridled and bited for a few days out in the pasture. The bit is not a pinch-free bit. The slide of the mouth piece and the edge of the bit shank causes some irritation. I am getting  bit /lip guards to help.
I plan on a new bit with solid side shanks, a pinch free bit. I am going to  keep the same mouth piece.
A few ebay links of bits I think might work better
http://www.ebay.com/itm/191023044196?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/111326696064?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

http://www.ebay.com/itm/400695397541?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I tried side pull, not much control. Doubt I will use a hackamore.

So far I have zip offers from her for sale ad. I will keep working her hoping to get her suitable for me to ride on trails .I thnk she will workout.

I have no plans to go anyplace to ride until late summer or fall.  As long as she does not dump me we will keep working. She is getting better. Some days she is great, some days she gives me  a bad time. We appear to be working out the issues. I find what will work with her and she figures out what she needs to do.

Here is the video clips from 4-17. Not great video but  you can see what she is doing as well as how I am trying to work her. I like to think we are doing better :)

http://imageevent.com/vmaxept/horses/starrrescuehorse/starrapril17training

Appreciate all the comments and advice

RogerR

Dawn Carrie

Apr 23, 2014, 9:00:38 AM4/23/14
to ride...@endurance.net
Roger, bless you for continuing to work with Starr, and for working so hard to find the right bit that will work for her and not cause her pain or irritation.  The fact that she has not tried to dump you, has not bucked or bolted, etc. speaks well for her.  She sounds like she has a good mind, but is just green and trying to learn.  It sounds that as you are working with her, she is not only learning her lessons, but is learning "you" and is also learning to trust that you will not hurt her.  This is so important for a horse.  Once they can trust, they can relax and that is when the real learning can begin.

Dawn

Dolores Arste

Apr 23, 2014, 9:36:57 AM4/23/14
to ridecamp
Roger,
I'm really liking how Star is progressing with you. Keep up the good work. She looks like she is trying hard.

Dolores

koelli...@aol.com

Apr 23, 2014, 10:18:47 AM4/23/14
to ride...@endurance.net
Roger,

She is looking a lot better.  Good for you to loosen up on the reins.  She isn't gaping as much, but still reaching up and down to find her sweet spot.  She is crossing over very well behind when you turn her which is very good.  I just can't believe that the "trainer" rode her even once.  She is acting like an extremely green horse.  You are doing a great job and she is trying really hard to figure it out.  Keep up the good work.  I know that you weren't looking to do this, but you are doing well regardless.

Karri