Trotting at vet checks- how about lunging at them?

Chrystal Woodhouse

Oct 24, 2014, 8:09:37 AM10/24/14
to ride...@endurance.net

It seems to me there  are a fair amount of people with knee/hip-arthritic etc.. issues that has led to them being unable to trot their horse at a vet check, many of them are fortunate enough to have a pit crew-spouse etc to do it for them.... however I wonder about the people who do not have that support/help- does that make them not participate in rides , or cause a lot of stress ( who will trot my horse out?)  and also think it really takes a lot of independence away from riders.

So I found myself wondering this year if riders could have the option of lunging their horse vs. run them--

***if concerns are " hazing" a horse then no lunge whips allowed-- train it to lunge without one

***lameness shows up faster on a circle vs a straight line so actually the person would be at a disadvantage no "advantage " there

***o.k so the only problem I can see is the CRI-- could this be figured out on a lunged horse to still make it "fair" to all? Changing the direction is a problem, could the horse just lunge one way - is that enough for a vet to see lameness issues? So you could say " horse has to go in a circle 3 times" as that is the same as trotting to cone and back- then do CRI.. Could even use ground spray paint to approximate the circle/distance for the horse.

Any thoughts? ( I know this is just not sexy as does not involve, dogs,guns or drugs. :-) :-) :-) )))))

Chrystal :-)

SMW

Oct 24, 2014, 8:21:40 AM10/24/14
to chry...@aadomino.ca, ridecamp
I have managed for years with asthma and now other more limiting injuries to present my horses in an acceptable manner.  I take a few forward steps and my horses continue in a straight line trotting to the end of the longish lead, turn and trot straight back.  In over 15 years of doing this I only had one veterinarian who did not accept that.  There is always people willing to help with a trot out.  I just found that the horses do better for me then for an unknown person.
Sharon

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(")   :D

Janice Taylor

Oct 24, 2014, 8:42:14 AM10/24/14
to chry...@aadomino.ca, RideCamp
When I was riding NATRC, many times the rider would lunge their horse, since it was required to trot in a circle at the first vet check and the last one. What I saw was that it was difficult to get the horse to not cheat, and stay too tight on the circle causing him to look lame. The circles were seldom a good round one.  Do you ever see someone lunge their horse at the BC judging? That is because a tight circle, which the horse is bound to do, makes even a sound horse look bad. I know ~ train at home, but our ponies very quickly figure out, no whip, no stick, I'll just pull in a bit...:) and make this little exercise shorter...
I've been very lucky at rides that there usually is someone willing to trot my horse when I can not. I can usually do it myself until my legs get weary, my hip is screaming...yada, yada...The bonus of having someone else trot my horse is that I get to see how he is going too...

Janice

All the sounds dear to horseman were around me ~ the snorts of horses, the swish of their tails, the tinkle of irons as we flung the saddles over their backs ~ little sounds of no importance, but they stay with us in the unconscious library of memory.
Wynford Vaughan-Thomas

www.janusstudio.blogspot.com

Dawn Carrie

Oct 24, 2014, 8:49:32 AM10/24/14
to ridecamp, chry...@aadomino.ca
I'm fortunate in that my husband is usually riding with me and later in the ride when my knees are hurting he'll trot my horse out for me.  <G>  But when we're not riding together I've always been able to find a willing "designated trotter-outter" who is more than willing to do it for me if I feel I just can't do it.  If Ross isn't there I usually manage on my own, but occasionally (like with my recent foot surgery) I'll need help.

Dawn

Chrystal Woodhouse

Oct 24, 2014, 8:55:10 AM10/24/14
to ride...@endurance.net
Yeah Janice I did CTR's  as well :-)  ( good foundation for endurance!) and get the too small/ugly circles :-) lol however what it can do  is make your horse look "off" so it is the rider who takes the "hit" - so if I was the rider who  cannot run, I would teach my horse to lunge really well before I tried it at an endurance ride.  For sure you can already do it for B.C- though I think most people do not as the horse can get ( or at  least look) more animated with someone running beside it.

Sharon- are you doing endurance? I think that is great you have found an acceptable alternative, however I know our vets measure and put cones out  for the checks that need a CRI, so you need to get there and back - I think it is 100 or 150 yards.

Chrystal :-)

SMW

Oct 24, 2014, 9:14:34 AM10/24/14
to chrystal, ridecamp
I did both endurance and UMECRA competitive rides.  I had to find a way because a couple of our rescued horses simply would not trot for a well intentioned stranger.  Not the end of the world for endurance but not good for competitive.  lol
Sharon

Katrina Mosshammer

Oct 24, 2014, 9:16:18 AM10/24/14
to ridecamp
LOL, Chrystal I don’t think I could do a trot out that was 100 or 150 yds. (that’s a whole football field) Winking smile (it’s 125 ft. )

Katrina Mosshammer (AERC # 5763)

"Curiosity is the very basis of education and if you tell me that curiosity killed the cat, I say only that the cat died nobly." - Arnold Edinborough

"A Tevis completion does not require a super horse with a super rider. It requires a well conditioned horse of almost any breed with a rider who has his/her head screwed on right and a big dream inside it." - Julie Suhr

wlEmoticon-winkingsmile[1].png

Chrystal Woodhouse

Oct 24, 2014, 11:11:17 AM10/24/14
to ride...@endurance.net, ammoss...@hotmail.com
Oh. Katrina, I KNEW I would screw that up, I am Canadian and actually have no idea what a yard is ( obviously :-) :-) )))  however at the end of rides it FEELS like they are making me run a whole football field. :-) :-) :-)

Katrina Mosshammer

Oct 24, 2014, 11:56:26 AM10/24/14
to ride...@endurance.net, Chrystal Woodhouse
I can sympathize. I was in marching band in jr high, high school and college so I spent 12 years of my life running up and down a football field. I would spend 2 hours a day marching on average 50-75 yds 4-5 times during practice and that still wasn’t as hard as trotting out those measly 125 ft at the end of a ride. Granted I was younger and in better shape then. Winking smile
wlEmoticon-winkingsmile[1].png

Ed & Wendy Hauser

Oct 24, 2014, 12:19:14 PM10/24/14
to ride...@endurance.net
On 10/24/2014 7:07 AM, Chrystal Woodhouse wrote:
It seems to me there  are a fair amount of people with knee/hip-arthritic etc.. issues that has led to them being unable to trot their horse at a vet check, man
During her last few years as an active rider Louise Reidel (if you didn't know her, look up her record.  It is awesome.), was not able to trot her horses.  She often rode in UMECRA rules CTR and thus had to do both circles and straight.  There was never a problem in finding a volunteer to do the trot out for her.  By the way UMECRA CTR normally does not allow crewing.  The rules commonly are relaxed for cause.

I just do not see asking for help to be a problem.  Distance riders are, as a group, happy to help.

Ed

--
Ed & Wendy Hauser
5729 175th Ave.

Ed: (406) 381-5527
Wendy: (406) 544-2926

Maryben Stover

Oct 24, 2014, 12:48:40 PM10/24/14
to ridecamp

There are usually any number of people to trot your horse out for you.  Sometimes the rider behind you or even the vet secretary and/or pulse people.

..........mb

To: ride...@endurance.net
Subject: [RC] Trotting at vet checks- how about lunging at them?
From: chry...@aadomino.ca
Date: Fri, 24 Oct 2014 08:07:38 -0400

Diane Trefethen

Oct 24, 2014, 1:48:41 PM10/24/14
to ride...@endurance.net
I often am pretty tapped out at the vet checks and can't trot my horse out well.
I have never met a vet scribe who wasn't willing to let me hold her clipboard
while she trotted my horse for me.

Volunteers make our sport!

Laney Humphrey

Oct 24, 2014, 11:26:50 PM10/24/14
to ride...@endurance.net
I agree with all who've said that there are always folks around happy
to trot a horse out for a rider who can't. Let's not stir up another
hornet's nest. Laney

mari...@aol.com

Oct 24, 2014, 11:33:29 PM10/24/14
to ride...@endurance.net
I even had a vet trot my horse out once while another vet watched.  Julie

Oct 25, 2014, 12:46:47 AM10/25/14
to ride...@endurance.net
Been there, done that!   Since back surgery at 63 and both hips replaced at 65, I haven’t trotted my horse out for almost  20 years.
I always tried to find a long legged young person that runs fast, they make my horse look good, but am very thankful to whoever is handy.(Open-mouthed smile)
Never had a problem getting a trotter outer.

Dot Wiggins

wlEmoticon-openmouthedsmile[1].png

Truman Prevatt

Oct 25, 2014, 9:55:32 AM10/25/14
to dot...@ruralnetwork.net, ride...@endurance.net
This is the very reason we need to get more strapping young members so they will be around to trot out our horses!

Truman

On Oct 25, 2014, at 12:46 AM, Dot Wiggins <dot...@ruralnetwork.net> wrote:

Been there, done that!   Since back surgery at 63 and both hips replaced at 65, I haven’t trotted my horse out for almost  20 years.
I always tried to find a long legged young person that runs fast, they make my horse look good, but am very thankful to whoever is handy.(<wlEmoticon-openmouthedsmile[1].png>)
Never had a problem getting a trotter outer.

Dot Wiggins

I even had a vet trot my horse out once while another vet watched.  Julie

: Re: [RC] Trotting at vet checks- how about lunging at them?

I agree with all who've said that there are always folks around happy
to trot a horse out for a rider who can't.  Let's not stir up another
hornet's nest.  Laney

On Fri, Oct 24, 2014 at 10:44 AM, Diane Trefethen
> I often am pretty tapped out at the vet checks and can't trot my horse out
> well. I have never met a vet scribe who wasn't willing to let me hold her
> clipboard while she trotted my horse for me.
>
> Volunteers make our sport!

"I cannot call to mind a single instance where I have ever been irreverent, except toward the things which were sacred to other people." - Mark Twain

Diane Trefethen

Oct 25, 2014, 7:38:51 PM10/25/14
to ridecamp@endurance.net >> No longer Ridecamp
Hi Steph,

As I read this post of Truman's, an image appeared in my mind of a vet check
with about 10 horses being trotted out by 6 foot Adonis' while the old geezers
who were the riders stood next to the vets. Guys with long, white beards flung
back over their shoulders and hunch-backed old women with dropped butts. I burst
out laughing!

If you think the image is funny too, maybe you could draw it and post it on
Ridecamp :)

Diane
Message has been deleted