[Endurance Riding: News] Australia's AERA Supports FEI Suspension of UAE

Endurance.Net

Mar 26, 2015, 10:28:56 AM3/26/15
to ne...@endurance.net
March 26 2015

In a statement issued on 26 March 2015, the Australian Endurance Riders Association (AERA) expressed solid support of the FEI's decision (26 February 2015) to suspend the remaining two FEI events scheduled to be held in the UAE, and to suspend the National Federation of the FEI (12 March 2015) for an indeterminate period due to major horse welfare issues and non-compliance with FEI Rules and Regulations.

Additionally, the AERA requests that the FEI reconsiders holding the 2016 World Endurance Championships in Dubai.

Further, in support of the FEI's decision to suspend Emirati athletes from Endurance events, AERA will not permit Emirati athletes to enter AERA affiliated endurance events, including the 50th Tom Quilty to be held 6-7 June 2015.

And while the AERA will not deny Australian endurance riders participation in UAE-based National events, it requests that any AERA members "give careful and measured consideration to competing in the UAE under the current circumstances…"

The full letter can be seen here:
http://www.endurance.net/international/UAE/2013FEIControversy/03.2015.AERALetter.jpg

--
Posted By Endurance.Net to Endurance Riding: News at 3/26/2015 07:28:00 AM

Lynn White

Mar 26, 2015, 11:55:10 AM3/26/15
to ridecamp
How is AERA connected to FEI?  Are all AERA rides double sanctioned?    The reason I am asking this is that the FEI sanction prohibited UAE riders from participating in all FEI sanctioned endurance rides.  The whole "National Federtion" definition has me kind of confused.

I am aware that AERC has asked Ride Managers to not allow UAE rides entry in AERC rides.  It is quite clear that UAE riders can't enter any FEI rides here.

It's not like UAE nationals are going to flock over to the US or Austrailia wanting to camp in pup tents and ride an eight-hour 50 on somebody's fit weekend warrior horse.  But this FEI sanction does provide some kind of opprotunity to show dedicated riders from the UAE how to become better horsemen and perhaps get a taste of our perspective on the difference between endurance riding and flat-tract-distance racing.  They certainly won't be earning any FEI points if they want to ride an AERC ride.

Just because the UAE NF is FUBAR doesn't mean all UAE riders are heartless schmucks.

I'm well aware of the cultural differences and the total lack of democratic thinking in these countries, but one has to start somewhere.

-Lynn

Kathy Mayeda

Mar 27, 2015, 12:51:15 AM3/27/15
to RideCamp List
I understood that the UAE riders could participate in FEI rides in other countries as individuals, but not ride under that UAE flag.  So, from what I am seeing, AERA (the Australian equivalent of AERC) has taken a further step and not allowing UAE individuals to compete in AERA sanctioned rides.  This does not necessariy mean that AERA rides are all co-sanctioned.  Which is the same as our rides.

It is true that all UAE riders are probably not schmucks, but they could put pressure on to those within their organization that are heartless schmucks to do what is right if they want their NF to be recognized.  Right now it just means that the UAE National Federation whatever they call themselves (their equivalent of USEF/AERC) has no ability to qualify their riders within their organization to ride in FEI events.  At least that's what I understood.  I could be totally all wet on this!

K.

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RidecampRedistributed" group.

stephanie teeter

Mar 27, 2015, 1:04:28 AM3/27/15
to Ridecamp Teeter
AERA is comprable to AERC - they are not affiliated with FEI. The recent FEI suspension disallowed UAE endurance riders from participating in any FEI endurance rides, but stated that other disciplines (e.g. jumping, eventing) could still participate - but not under the UAE flag, only under the FEI flag.

AERA making a statement that UAE riders can't participate in AERA rides such as the Tom Quilty, is like AERC telling them they can't participate in AERC rides (Tevis for example). These aren't FEI events, but still big name rides that do draw competitors from around the world.

Steph

Lynn White

Mar 27, 2015, 10:11:46 AM3/27/15
to ridecamp
Got it.  Thanks Steph and Kathy.   I don't know how one would put pressure on the UAE NF leadership from within.   It's not particularly a democracy over there.

Truman Prevatt

Mar 27, 2015, 11:59:33 AM3/27/15
to ride...@endurance.net
Paraphrased from the CIA Worldbook.

"The UAE is a federation of seven “Emirates” with land borders with Oman and Saudi Arabia and share sea borders with Qatar and Iran.  Each Emirate is governed as an absolute monarchy (the monarch passed through family lines) with the monarchs forming a Federal Supreme Council as they call it which elects a president of the UAE.  The UAE is composed of Ajman, Dubai, Fujairah, Ras al-Khaimah, Sharjah, Umm al-Quwain and  Abu Dhabi which serves as the capital of the UAE.  The most populous city is Dubai is an important center for international trade and transport and has the world’s busiest airport. Both Abu Dhabi and Dubai have veto power over critical maters of national importance in the UAE legislature.  Not all Emirates are created equal.

Dubai has been ruled by the Al Maktoum family since the early 1800’s and is an absolute monarchy. The current ruler (king if you will) is Mohammed bin Rashid Al Maktoum who also serves as the Vice President and Prime Minister of the UAE.  Dubai also enforces some forms of Sharia laws - kissing in public is illegal. Holding hands in public even with a spouse is also illegal.  Homosexual behavior is punishable by death. There is also an official dress code in Dubai.”

So it is somewhat naive to believe that the UAE NF would have any influence at all on this behavior since one would assume that the UAE NF is answerable to the absolute ruler of the UAE - the very person who is alleged to have permitted or even endorsed the doping and abuse in question.  It also naive to think that UAE would give a rats behind about the FEI since in reality given their location and the current instability in the Middle Eastern geopolitical region including a war breaking out which they have combatants in less than a 1000 miles away - they have a lot more worries than the FEI.

So while the tongue wagging of the FEI and the letter writing campaign by the AERA, AERC, USEF, etc.  might make people thing “something is being done” I see little reason to be optimistic that at the end of the day the UAE will be back in good stead with the FEI with only cosmetic changes and the FEI will declare victory and move on. Only time will tell.  It is very clear at this time that the AERC does not have courage to take a clear and more importantly decisive stand on the issue.  Talk is cheap, as is the paper on which a letter is written.

Truman

--
“Horsemen have a desire and need as do hikers to be able to overlook that vista, to see what is over the next hill or ridge. To be enthralled by the thrill and awe of discovery that is shared with a partner that is more attuned to the nuances of nature than we can ever be, is part of the experience that horsemen cherish.”   Steve Didier

psidio

Mar 28, 2015, 11:31:31 AM3/28/15
to ride...@endurance.net, tpre...@mindspring.com
Truman,

I think  that the time and opportunity for the UAE to  do  a few cosmetic things and get back in good graces passed this winter.. This was the time that were supposed to be proving that they had improved and were following the rules.. However, as was revealed all  winter they were carrying on as usual and in some instances were even more blatant in their cheating and abuses.  With HRH's wife gone as President of FEI, they finally acted.. For  the UAE to  get reinstated, they will have to  show huge improvements in what they do, how they do it, enforcement, governance, and even more important a willing spirit to  follow the rules.  In my opinion, that is very unlikely, so I see FEI keeping the UAE endurance suspended for several  years or more, and only allowing them back on a limited and regulated basis.  Too  much water has flowed under that bridge for even FEI to  ignore.  Endurance is small potatoes in the FEI view of things. They will  not wish to  taint, and endanger their prefered equine sports becasue of what a few idiots in the UAE do.

I do look for the UAE to  try to  set up an alternative international Endurance RACING organization that allows them to conduct Endurance more like how TB flat track  racing is done, with even less drug   rules.  There are signs this is happening now.

Paul N. Sidio
Spokane MO
Illigitimi Non Carborundum
Truman
To unsubscribe from this group and stop receiving emails from it, send an email to ridecampredistributed+unsub...@googlegroups.com.

Truman Prevatt

Mar 28, 2015, 5:18:29 PM3/28/15
to pa...@ucozark.com, ride...@endurance.net
Paul,

I’m a bit cynical and believe in the golden rule - “he who has the gold makes the rules.”  If the UAE does establish their own equestrian body for endurance racing, why stop there?  The FEI is the IOC federation of equine Olympic sports.  If all or some equestrian sports are eliminated from the Olympics the FEI loses most of its status. The IOC has changed the way they operate going forward based on an event base (instead of track and field, it is long jump, 100 meter dash, etc.)  So each event stands on its own.  The second move made is for a new event to be added, one has to be deleted.  Some think that some Equestrian events like Dressage will be on the chopping block in the near future.

At some point the FEI has a decision to make on endurance.  Clearly this has been a political nightmare.  The biggest benefactor in financial support for FEI endurance is the very country they have suspended. If the UAE does create a separate endurance organization, pouring significant money into in and recruiting others - will the FEI have the desire or resources to fend it off.  After all since endurance is not an Olympic sport - the FEI has no special status in endurance.

I don’t think this is over yet nor do I think the FEI will stick to its guns - especially if the politics become to heated or the battle becomes to costly.  It may turn out the result will be - the FEI washing its hands of endurance and whatever remains supported by the UAE the only game in town.   But I think when the dust settles, the UAE will be back within the FEI in relatively short order and just get better at what they are doing and the FEI declaring victory. We will know soon as time marches on.

Truman

--
"A conservative is a man with two perfectly good legs who, however, has never learned to walk forward."  Franklin Roosevelt

Bruce Weary

Mar 28, 2015, 6:51:19 PM3/28/15
to ride...@endurance.net
 Truman, you make some very good points, but I will have to disagree with you on this. I think with the world now breathing down the neck of FEI, they will be limited to mere baby steps in allowing any overtures from the UAE for reinstatement. At least the FEI has proven it can, and will, suspend these jokers, and I am quite frankly stunned at the silence from the UAE. Is anyone reading this aware of any public comment or stance taken on the part of Group VII in response to being suspended? If they won't even respond to their accusers and conviction, I think that is strong evidence that they may never care enough to do so. Perhaps they will simply carry on in their masquerade, presuming the rest of us will just have to "eat cake."     Bruce Weary

Truman Prevatt

Mar 28, 2015, 7:55:30 PM3/28/15
to ride...@endurance.net
While I hope you are correct, I am skeptical.  The FEI has been forced to step forward.  We do not know if that was their choice?  Many times with the hue and cry of the moment subside - things change.  At the end of the day, the UAE NF is run by the Emir - that is it is a country.  The Emir if he  wanted could use his national diplomatic resources to address this (it is his country after all).  Trust me if he chose to do that - the outcome would be different than if he chose not to.  Do we know how he will choose - no we don’t.  So I suggest we wait and see how it shakes out.  Time will tell. But I would not bet the farm that the FEI comes out on top of this independent on what other national federations are pushing.  I suspect that one of two things happens.  Either there is a “trust me” proposal from the UAE and the FEI accepts it and declares victory.  The other options is the UAE decides to try to take over international endurance racing based on the fact it is not an Olympic sport so FEI has no real priority and the UAE has a lot of money to make it happen.  Give a year and then we will talk again.

Truman

--
"My grandfather once told me that there were two kinds of people: those who do the work and those who take the credit. He told me to try to be in the first group; there was much less competition." Indira Gandhi