Type 1 Diabetes and a 100 miler

RIS

Jul 9, 2014, 10:48:36 AM7/9/14
to ride...@endurance.net
I am attempting my first one hundred. I have type 1 diabetes and have
done pretty well during 50's. I plan to check my sugar at each hold and
adjust accordingly but will there be any surprises with the length of
the ride. I do not use a pump, I am old school and use needles and a meter.

Thanks in advance
Richard Stedman

Lynn White

Jul 9, 2014, 11:23:43 AM7/9/14
to ridecamp
Please ride with someone and let RM know your medical condition.  I'm not diabetic but I had an instance when someone's blood suger when whacko.  Nobody knew what to do because nobody knew the guy was diabetic.  His long sleeve shirt hid his bracelette.   It was pretty scary for us all unilt someone figured out the situation.  Make sure you have other people remind you to check yourself.  Doing things like 100-milers makes everyone forgetful.

Sandy Howland

Jul 9, 2014, 11:35:37 AM7/9/14
to RideCamp Ridecamp
Hi Richard, I am also a T1 diabetic.  The best advice I was able to find was on Running and Cycling forums.  Also Diabetes Daily was quite helpful.  If you want a really specific management plan, the guy to talk to is Gary Schneider of http://integrateddiabetes.com/

What do you do for 50s?  Have you found that you start to run low or high?  I have a pump so the answer for me was to do a lower basal rate and adjust accordingly.  Are you on a long acting insulin?  Can you lower your basal for the day?  I have also heard strategies of doing basal injections 2x  a day at 12 hour intervals.

-Sandy Howland in NJ

Sandy Kibler

Jul 9, 2014, 11:38:09 AM7/9/14
to ride...@endurance.net
I have type 1. Drink Gator aid or something every other hold. After a 100 you will probably run low for 24 hours, so check your BG often.
Sandy Kibler

Sandy kibler
> --

tara rothwell

Jul 9, 2014, 4:16:19 PM7/9/14
to ride...@endurance.net
where are you located. I am a PA and I have ridden before with people who have medical issues just to be safe (for them). Maybe you can find a nurse or doctor to ride with?
Tara
To unsubscribe from this group, send email to: ridecamp+u...@endurance.net

RIS

Jul 10, 2014, 9:08:48 AM7/10/14
to ride...@endurance.net
My wife is my crew so she will be keeping an eye on me. I use
lantus(long acting) at night and humalog(short acting) to bolus during
the day as needed. I usually run a little low on 50's. I check at the
hold usually runs around 85 then I eat and out again on trail. I carry
food with me of course, nature valley granola bars, peppermints and
almonds. As the day goes on I am wondering if it will be harder to
control my blood sugar levels.

I had not thought of the day following the ride. Thanks I will keep a
close eye on things after the ride is over, thanks for that advice.

I know people can get kinda loopy after dark on hundreds, guess I will
have to try and figure out if I am low or just loopy? I will test often
and my wife Patti will worry enough for both of us so I won't have to
worry at all! She takes very good care of me!

“If you can’t run, you walk. If you can’t walk, you crawl. If you can’t crawl, you find someone to carry you.”

Lynn White

Jul 10, 2014, 10:08:06 AM7/10/14
to ridecamp
Way to go! Sounds like you have all your bases covered.   Keep at it and never give up.   You are an inspiration for all of us that have  medical conditions.