[Endurance Riding: News] Endurance.Net supports the 2-Day format for World Endurance Championships

Endurance.Net

Apr 20, 2015, 8:26:10 PM4/20/15
to ne...@endurance.net
[More ...]

--
Posted By Endurance.Net to Endurance Riding: News at 4/20/2015 05:26:00 PM

Endurance.Net

Apr 20, 2015, 8:47:57 PM4/20/15
to ne...@endurance.net
Responding to recent news that FEI is considering changing the format for World Endurance Championship competition from a 1-Day 160 Mile Race, to a 2-Day 160 Race, Endurance.Net would like to offer the following comments:

1) A 2-Day format will make it possible to hold WEC's on more challenging and technical courses. Over the last two decades WEC courses have become flatter and less challenging. This is primarily due to the desire to make it more practical for spectators, staff and organizers. A traditional 24 hour 1-Day 100 mile ride such as Tevis, Florac or Quilty, does not fit in the desired time frame for a 'friendly' championship event. By holding the championship over a 2 day period, organizers can choose more difficult and technical trails, and still meet the goal of a spectator friendly event. This will reduce the difficulties organizers face both in practical and logistical terms.

2) Horse and rider teams will be challenged in a different way - and ultimately we believe there will be fewer injuries and metabolic collapses. Horses will have at least 12 hours to rest and rehydrate between the first and second days.

3) Though speeds might be faster over an 80km course, given the current speeds displayed over 160km WEC courses, this will probably not be a profound change, especially if courses have more technical difficulty. The benefit from a period of rest, energy replenishment and hydration for both horse and rider will out-weigh the dangers from greater course speeds.

4) Multi-day rides have become a common occurrence, particularly in the Western United States. This is an enjoyable and challenging format and it would benefit the sport world-wide if more Nations adopted this style of riding.

We support this proposal.

Steph Teeter
Endurance.Net

--
Posted By Endurance.Net to Endurance Riding: News at 4/20/2015 05:47:00 PM

stephanie teeter

Apr 20, 2015, 8:51:01 PM4/20/15
to Ridecamp Teeter

Laney Humphrey

Apr 20, 2015, 9:43:37 PM4/20/15
to ride...@endurance.net
I'm chuckling over the visual of the sheikhs ordering the construction
of Tevis/Quilty/Biltmore type hills out of their desert sands. I
think the change would be wonderful for the sport.
Laney
12921
> --
> --

> email to ridecamp+u...@endurance.net.

Truman Prevatt

Apr 21, 2015, 12:29:59 PM4/21/15
to ride...@endurance.net
However, it could be the death knell of the 1 day 100 within the AERC except for a few historic rides. If the WEC is a 2 day 100 - they how long will the one day 100 (160 km) remain in the FEI.

There are 7 FEI sanctioned 1 day 100’s sanctioned this season. Just think if the 100 was completely replaced with a 2 day 100 in the FEI - the need for those would go away and the need for people to ride time to qualify for FEI championship rides would disappear. Be careful what you wish for - you might get it.

Truman

--
“With or without religion, you would have good people doing good things and evil people doing evil things. But for good people to do evil things, that takes religion.” - Steven Weinberg

Ed & Wendy Hauser

Apr 21, 2015, 1:17:00 PM4/21/15
to ride...@endurance.net
On 4/21/2015 11:29 AM, Truman Prevatt wrote:
  If the WEC is a 2 day 100 - they how long will the one day 100 (160 km) remain in the FEI.
Not that it invalidates the point, but the proposal is:

"...Future World Equestrian Games endurance champions could be decided in a two-day format, with competitors covering 100km each day...."

My calcs. indicate 100 km ~= 62.14 miles, which would make the total 124.27 miles in two days.

Of course, relating to the thread about the Cuneo protest, AERC RM's would figure out how to add at least .5 mi to each day resulting in two 65 mile rides.  Much like all Tevis rides are magically 100 miles even when shortened by  unavoidable problems.
--
Ed & Wendy Hauser
5729 175th Ave.

Ed: (406) 381-5527
Wendy: (406) 544-2926

Lynn White

Apr 21, 2015, 1:49:59 PM4/21/15
to ridecamp
100-mile rides are still the goal of a good number of AERC riders, whether FEI does them or not.    The real obsticle to putting on 100-milers is just the logistics and having to deal with darkness and the vetting requirements.  I think as the economy improves we will be seeing MORE 100-milers in AERC even if FEI dumps their 100-mile competition.  Remember that AERC originated the 100-mile ride, and it doesn't need any other organization perpetuating the distance to keep up the 100-mile goal of riders.  If there is a demand and support within AERC to put on 100-milers, they will happen.   Anyway, I still have a goal of doing another 100-miler before I get too old.  If I have to manage my own 100-miler to see it happen I'll do it.

-Lynn

Dolores Arste

Apr 21, 2015, 2:01:43 PM4/21/15
to ridecamp
When racing at speed I think a muti-day is actually harder than a 1 day because the animal has to come out sound on the second day and ready to go again. Hard to hide a hurt animal on a second or third day.

Reference the hardest and fastest sled dog race the North American Championship Speed race. Dogs going very fast for fairly long distance.

Dolores

stephanie teeter

Apr 21, 2015, 2:49:25 PM4/21/15
to tpre...@mindspring.com, Ridecamp Teeter
Yes, it's hard to really predict the long range effects should FEI actually adopt a 2-day format. But - I think that FEI 100's and AERC 100's are, and should, be a different beast. There are some flat course 100's held in the Southeast, for the sole purpose of qualifying horse and rider teams for FEI. These 100's might decline. But most of the 100's (non-FEI) held here in the USA are traditional rides, with levels of difficulty not seen in FEI 100's. I don't think there will be any effect on these from any FEI changes.

I'm sure I'm a hopeless optimist... but FEI, and Olympics, have to have sports that are practical (logistically) and also desirable (for both the athletes and spectators). I don't think that the current 1-day 100 mile (160km) format at World Championships has either of these characteristics. Something has to change. Couple that with the growing distaste for the sport of Sheikhs and the public awareness that horses are being ridden to death - I think something has to give.

I honestly don't know where this proposal is coming from either - from the Money Powers, or from FEI execs, or from event organizers and hosts... but I think it would be a good change in all respects.

Steph

Terre O’Brennan

Apr 21, 2015, 4:19:16 PM4/21/15
to ride...@endurance.net, ne...@endurance.net
Two points--which don't invalidate your position, Steph...

1) Ed is right when he states that the actual proposal is 100 km/60 miles per day, not 80/50.  It would be much easier to arrange qualifiers if this was changed to 80 per day.

2) this proposal is ONLY for WEG (World Equestrian Games) not for WEC (World Endurance Championship).  That remains a one-day 160 km/100 miler.  The rationale behind it is trying to make the event more 'spectator/media' friendly, so that WEGs have a better chance of financial success.

http://www.fei.org/system/files/END%20Future_Session%206.pdf

Note that they are also proposing "mounted Best Condition judging"...which would be very interesting!  Opens up a number of new possibilities.

terre

stephanie teeter

Apr 21, 2015, 4:58:40 PM4/21/15
to Ridecamp Teeter
At any rate it will be interesting to see where the discussion goes. Many of the continental championships have already gone to a 120km format (75 miles thereabouts). If they (WEG) try the 2-day format and like it, perhaps it will become the norm.

We still don't know where (if) next year's WEC will be - Terry, have you heard anything on this?

Steph

Terre O’Brennan

Apr 22, 2015, 3:36:02 PM4/22/15
to ride...@endurance.net
Not so far.  Something may come out of the Sport Forum this month.
It's my personal opinion that it just won't happen.  I don't think anybody else can bid for it in the current timeframe and I doubt that UAE will be reinstated soon enough to hold it.  If they ARE...there is a very good chance that many if not most NFs will boycott it anyway.

terre