Lodge to Lodge ride Cusco Peru

Suzy Henderson

Apr 14, 2015, 3:10:13 PM4/14/15
to Ridecamp Teeter
I have recently booked this ride and would like to talk to anyone who has done it.

endurancehorsemt

Apr 14, 2015, 4:09:18 PM4/14/15
to ride...@endurance.net
Cool!!!  I have not done this ride but am replying so I can follow the replies. We visited Peru in 2009, no riding but it was absolutely incredible. Where does your trip start and end?

We basically showed up in Cusco with backpacks and no plans other than to to to Machu Picchu at some point and winged the rest. If your trip starts in Cusco I imagine you will go through the beautiful Sacred Valley. I hope your trip includes Machu Picchu whether you go there on horseback or not. It lives up to the hype, but really everything, everywhere we went was amazing. All of the ruins around Cusco and the sacred valley are worth visiting, they are all very different. We also took a 3 day trip to the jungle which was the coolest little adventure.

If I try to say any more about it I'll go on and on so I'd better not say any more, other than you are about to embark on the trip of a lifetime.

Karen in Bozeman

On Tue, Apr 14, 2015 at 1:09 PM, 'Suzy Henderson' via ridecamp at Endurance.Net <ride...@endurance.net> wrote:
I have recently booked this ride and would like to talk to anyone who has done it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
AERC # M39603
www.allthingsendurance.com

Suzy Henderson

Apr 15, 2015, 9:50:41 AM4/15/15
to ride...@endurance.net
We booked a trip with Linblad-Nat. Geographic. We fly to Miami, spend a night, then Galapagos on the Islander, then Cusco.  We will go to Machu Picchu, Sacred Valley and other places around Cusco.  I booked an all day ride with Hacienda Del Chalan to Salinas-Moray, then go on the Lodge to Lodge ride.  So will be in the Sacred Valley 2x and also Mach Picchu.  I may after Lodge to Lodge book a riding lesson on a Peruvian or take another short ride.
All the pictures I have seen it does look awesome, I am really looking forward to the trip!
Did you have any problems with sickness?

You received this message because you are subscribed to the Google Groups "RidecampRedistributed" group.

Merri Melde

endurancehorsemt

Apr 18, 2015, 11:42:07 AM4/18/15
to ride...@endurance.net

No sickness. We did stick to bottled water but ate salad and other stuff you're not supposed to eat. No issues. All the food was wonderful. We did not try the cuy (guinea pig) :)

Suzy Henderson

Apr 19, 2015, 7:41:19 PM4/19/15
to ride...@endurance.net
I am a vegan so worried about that.

endurancehorsemt

Apr 20, 2015, 12:26:52 AM4/20/15
to ride...@endurance.net

Quinoa is popular there so you should be able to find various quinoa vege dishes I would think. Also we were told that Peru is responsible for 2000 varieties of potatoes. Hard to believe and I wonder if somewhat exaggerated. But we visited one ruin that consisted of very deep circles that were terraced and the Incans grew many varieties of potatoes that way as the climate varied from higher terraces to lower. We also stayed at a sort of B&B where husband and wife made a delicious dinner and accompanying it was tea they made by picking various leaves from an (herb?) Garden and we just dropped all the leaves into our mugs of hot water. Then in the jungle we had awesome juices made of tropical fruits just thrown in a blender. Sooo good but that would be one thing to drink sparingly before a horseback ride ;) At our hostel in Cusco they had a sort of continental breakfast with fruit, breads, jam etc.  On the streets of Cusco they sold soups and fresh bread. So.... I think a vegan should have not much trouble in the food department.