FEI Young Horse Championship

k s swigart

Sep 29, 2014, 11:02:50 PM9/29/14
to ride...@endurance.net
Keith said:

> At the risk of sounding like a shrew which I am not and am not anti-fei,
> these are 4 year old horses being ridden 100 miles on a difficult course
> with sub 6 hour ride times?

Yet the New Zealand article says:

> The event boasted one of the highest completion rates for a seven-year-old
> horses, when 20 completed the 120km ride from 44 starters.

I don't know which it was, a 100 mile ride for 4 year old horses or a 75 mile ride for 7 year old horses, but it would probably be good to get factual information before passing judgement on the event.

> And the first across the line "was cruelly disqualified for failing to pass vet examination"????

Since this is a quote from the Gulf News, I wonder if English is the first language for the author, or if the article was written in English at all and the word "cruelly" was translated not entirely accurately????

The whole article doesn't read like it was written by somebody with English as a first language.  In fact, everything I have ever read from the Gulf News (and there have been lots of links to that publication posted here) sounds distinctly "un-English" with a "floweriness" to it that a native English speaker would find a bit odd (actually, more ridiculous than just odd).

I could be wrong and native English speakers really do talk and write like that in the UAE, and if so...all the Gulf News articles that have been posted here I find to be somewhat laughable.

Personally, unless I hear otherwise, I am willing to put the strange connotation of the above reference statement down to "real meaning was lost in translation."

One way to entertain yourself immensely is to put a foreign statement through a translator and to get a good laugh from the output.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:|

Keith W. Kibler

Sep 29, 2014, 11:50:45 PM9/29/14
to ride...@endurance.net
 Kat
  I was wrong about 100 miles. It was 75, but on the other hand, the finish time did not say if it included vet holds or not either.  I read the 4 year old part over the last few days from lead up articles setting the stage on the race.
Keith Kibler

Diane Trefethen

Sep 30, 2014, 4:47:30 AM9/30/14
to ride...@endurance.net
So I went to fei.org to read what they had to say about this race. I don’t know
how others feel but I consider it insulting that an international organization
would delegate the writing of its English language articles to someone who
learned English in school. At the very least, someone for whom English is
her/his native tongue should have proofread the damn thing for weirdness.

“The FEI World Endurance Championships for Young Horses 2014, held in Slovakia
for the first time, boasted one of the highest completion rates for a
seven-year-old horse Endurance competition on a day of extraordinary sport. From
a total of 44 combinations, 20 successfully finished the challenging ride”
Okay. So the horses are seven and the clueless writer thinks a 45% completion
rate is the friggin’ cat’s meow. That’s sick.

“Breaking with tradition, this event saw a change from the unusual format…”
Right. They unusually do what? We never find out but apparently the unusual is
so different that they decided to go with a more usual format.

“This stunning backdrop was to provide the tough and tricky going…” That sounds
really hard. I didn’t even know you could ride a backdrop. Is it like riding a
panorama?

“… the rest of the track, which featured endless flat…” Endless, huh. Well, I
know 27 km can seem long, but “endless?”

“This purpose-built equestrian facility acted as the static base for Vet Gates 3
and 4 and the Finish.” F. This prose definitely gets an F.

“…heading out on to the penultimate loop…” I think the author meant “second to
last.”

“The finish asked quite a question of these young horses…” Given that the race
took place in Slovakia, I hope it didn't use English.

ride...@juno.com

Sep 30, 2014, 7:32:35 AM9/30/14
to kat...@att.net, ride...@endurance.net
> The event boasted one of the highest completion rates for a seven-year-old
> horses, when 20 completed the 120km ride from 44 starters.

> And the first across the line "was cruelly disqualified for failing to pass vet examination"????

I would guess "cruelly" meant it was "extremely disappointing". The funniest (for lack of a better description) part to me is that 20 out of 44 finishing is considered a great completion rate. :-P

Right now I really don't care. I've got a big old case of the don't cares about a lot of this stuff.

Angie

The End of the "Made-In-China" Era
The impossible (but real) technology that could make you impossibly rich.
http://thirdpartyoffers.juno.com/TGL3141/542a948c112b5148b060dst01vuc

Dolores Arste

Sep 30, 2014, 7:40:52 AM9/30/14
to ridecamp
"I would guess "cruelly" meant it was "extremely disappointing". The
funniest (for lack of a better description) part to me is that 20 out
of 44 finishing is considered a great completion rate. :-P'

I would agree with this as to how the words were meant. You folks have
just not listened to enough English as a second language speech or
google translate. I'm translating my dad's book which was written in
Polish via google.

And, I go south every year. Talk about English as a second language.

Warmly,
Dolores

hans buckel

Sep 30, 2014, 9:11:47 AM9/30/14
to ride...@endurance.net
the young horses in slovakia was not for 4 year old ,they are 7 year old horses