[Consider This] The Adventure of a Horse Tattoo

Endurance.Net

Jan 24, 2015, 10:35:29 AM1/24/15
to consid...@endurance.net
Shawneesunrisefarm.net Blog - Full Story

by Keith Kibler

January 22, 2015 by Keith Kibler

So, I was thinking about getting a Horse Tattoo.

When many people think of horses and tattoos, they think of the replacement for a “brand”. In other words, the tattoo is a way of marking the horse to show ownership. That is not what I am thinking of when I talk about horses and tattoos.

To the surprise of some, I have a tattoo. To make a long story short, I had a trailer hitch fall on me and and crush my left foot. In an instant, I was transformed from the runner of the year in my area, to someone that was told would end up in a wheel chair and that I would never run again. I was told that amputation was what would be the normal outcome. I told my Doctor that that was not for me and that I believed through faith and hard work, I would do Ironman. He said I did not know my own limitations and that I would never make it. I told him he was right on the first thing, but wrong on the second. I did it in 13 hours 35 minutes. Then I did it again 4 minutes faster. I got the finishers tattoo. Google the Ironman symbol and you will see it. It is on my left calf behind the foot that was crushed.

It reminds me to never give up. It also seems to encourage people as they pass me in human endurance events who then invariably say as they pass, “Hey are you REALLY an Iron Man?”

After having achieved what a non insane middle aged person could reasonably expect to do in Ironman that had a life outside the sport, I turned to long distance equine endurance racing. I fell in love with it. I used the training protocols and tools that I learned and developed to train for Ironman and Marathons on horses. I used those tools on gaited horses. It worked. In fact, it worked past my wildest dreams.

I have this one Tennessee Walking Horse named Kate. I love this mare...

Read more here:
http://shawneesunrisefarm.net/wordpress/?p=347

--
Posted By Endurance.Net to Consider This at 1/24/2015 08:35:00 AM

Endurance.Net

Jan 24, 2015, 10:35:29 AM1/24/15
to ride...@endurance.net

jazena

Jan 24, 2015, 2:03:29 PM1/24/15
to ride...@endurance.net
Way to go Keith!!! Very nice tat. You only live once on earth so WHY
NOT do what you like that doesn't harm yourself or others. You will
enjoy that tat for many years to come. I got a tattoo on my shoulder
for my 40th birthday. It is a simple rose with 3 small leaves and the
names of my three children under each leaf. I'm 73 and am still glad I
did that. Always told my kids my body would be easier to identify. :-)
And two of my kids also have one tat with the names of their children.
I'm sure Kate will love it also.
Regards,
Lindak

Laney Humphrey