[Consider This] Proof Positive Why Shoes Are Bad for Horses

k s swigart

Dec 27, 2014, 11:01:52 PM12/27/14
to Ridecamp Teeter
Joe said:

> Clearly the photo was rigged, probably by the method you [Lynne] suggest.

My guess is Photoshop.  That is generally the easiest way to "rig" a photo.

I have attached a photo of the same horse that now has two shoes on instead of one.

kat
:|

thermograph%20two%20shoe.jpg

Bruce Weary

Dec 27, 2014, 11:22:30 PM12/27/14
to ride...@endurance.net
Geez, to me it just looks like the horse got his butt kicked in paint ball. :)    Dr Q

Don and Pam Bowen

Dec 27, 2014, 11:46:29 PM12/27/14
to ride...@endurance.net

Or is Kat saying……………….?  Hmmmm……………….

Pam Bowen J

Truman Prevatt

Dec 28, 2014, 9:49:24 AM12/28/14
to ride...@endurance.net
Good observation.  The thing that is very suspicious about this picture is not so much the legs but the background.  Thermography units are nothing more than overpriced IR cameras.  All objects radiate in the IR band - sufficient thermal energy will cause the emission of photons in the IR region. Some materials, i.e. grass, tree leaves, and all sorts of foliage light up in the IR.  Unless objects in the back ground are super cooled IR would show up in the image.  The background in this image is totally void of any indication of IR.  Yep, this photo is very suspicious.
__
“I believe that, as long as there is plenty, poverty is evil. Government belongs wherever evil needs an adversary and there are people in distress.”  Robert F. Kennedy

Mickie Newnam

Dec 28, 2014, 8:34:24 PM12/28/14
to Ridecamp Teeter
It's been a while since I was involved in using thermography; used to take my horse to a vet who used it a lot but haven't needed to for a while. But if I remember correctly, it should be set so that the "normal" areas read cool, and any red that showed heat was cause to explore further. So if that is the case, then this would be showing just the opposite of what the original article said. It would be showing the shod foot as normal and the unshod warm from possible trauma.
Not saying the photo is valid either way. Just an observation based on what I think I remember.