FEI

Bruce Weary

Feb 27, 2015, 2:07:57 PM2/27/15
to ride...@endurance.net
   I just began reading this thread, and I am more than a little  surprised at the opinions being offered regarding AERC's role in dealing with the horse abuse crisis in the UAE. I would very much like to add to this discussion to help clarify how things are actually being handled, and to reduce as much conjecture here as possible.  In the interest of efficiency, if Joe and Truman and Kat could elaborate on which of the multiple strategies before the Board  that have been considered and dismissed,  are currently being considered and evolving, and are currently underway that they disagree with, it would help me to not be redundant in my comments. Please be specific in your comments as to the multiple facets of each of these current strategies, and why you think they will or won't have some measureable effect.  Better yet, come to the convention and make your thoughts known to the Board and membership at large.  Thank you.   Bruce Weary

Joe Long

Feb 27, 2015, 2:43:23 PM2/27/15
to ride...@endurance.net
The current horse abuse crisis has just brought a larger long-term issue into focus, as well as being a threat to the very survival of the AERC and endurance riding in the U.S.  The AERC was created as a sanctioning, support, and record-keeping body for endurance riding in the U.S. and Canada.  When FEI events came along they were added to the AERC as an adjunct, with AERC-I being formed to deal with these events.  I believe that for some time now the AERC-I involvement has been detrimental to the AERC and the average members (most of whom who lack the means and/or desire to compete internationally).

Since we now face a situation that harms the reputation of the AERC, and possibly the very ability to host endurance rides in the U.S., it's come time to take real, decisive action to protect the core mission of the AERC.  I said a year or more ago that necessitated the AERC disassociating itself from international competition.  This can be easily done by spinning off AERC-I into a separate, independent organization without "AERC" in its name, and ending the AERC relationship with USEF and FEI.  IMO few people will suffer any harm from this action, and none serious harm, while the majority of AERC members will benefit.  It could even save the sport in the U.S.

Those AERC members who compete internationally can still work to affect change via AERC-I and USEF, and even the AERC can still encourage necessary change by taking a public stance.  But the AERC will no longer be a party to the abuse, and therefore no longer be an enabler to the abuse.  No matter what other steps the Board is taking or considering, THIS step is the critical one, the one that I believe the best interests of the AERC and endurance riders in the U.S. demands.

Please feel free to share this with the Board.
February 27, 2015 at 12:07 PM
[...]

Joe Long  aka ChipRider
jl...@chiprider.com
A++ G+ PKR+ PEG+ B+ M+

k s swigart

Feb 27, 2015, 11:36:22 PM2/27/15
to Ridecamp Teeter

👤 K S
⚙ Help

Press ? for keyboard shortcuts.

[No Subject]

me
Today at 8:35 PM

Ridecamp Teeter

Bruce said:

> if Joe and Truman and Kat could elaborate on which

> of the multiple strategies ... that they disagree with

Where in anything that I said did Bruce get the idea that I disagreed with anything that the Board was or was not doing or considering doing? I expressed no opinion about these things.

In my first posts on the subject I suggested some questions to ask in advance of the Board Meeting at Convention so that people can make a meaningful contribution to any discussion whether before or at the meeting.

In one post I highlighted the fact that if you wallow in the mud with pigs you are, necessarily, going to get dirty. But in that post also said if people wanted to do that, to "have at it."

In my most recent posts I disagreed with Joe that the AERC wasn't "leading" as Terry Wooley's motion was the first I had heard anything about anybody doing anything other than the FEI saying "there is nothing we can do." And then I went on to point out to people that if they agree with Truman that the AERC is "enabling" FEI GR-VII abuse by remaining affiliated with USEF, then those individuals are also "enabling" the same thing by remaining affiliated with the AERC.

If remaining involved on an organizational level is "enabling" then remaining involved at the individual level is "enabling" as well. It is a fact that only individuals can act. Individuals can group together an act in concert, but it is still individuals acting, groups cannot act independently of the individuals that comprise them.

> Better yet, come to the convention and make your thoughts
> known to the Board and membership at large.

I won't be coming to convention; however, that has nothing to do with the AERC's relationship with/involvement in international riding, affiliation with USEF, or "enabling" of horse abuse on the other side of the world.

kat
Orange County, Calif.
:|

Bruce Weary

Feb 28, 2015, 10:30:38 PM2/28/15
to ride...@endurance.net
That's exactly what we were thinking about the British, Truman, when we were preparing our motion putting FEI on notice and GB was negotiating a sponsorship from the Sheik. There are other measures afoot on the Board that will come to further fruition at convention. It is neither fair or accurate to compare the actions and influence of endurance federations to that of  the AERC.  Did you get a new pea shooter for Christmas, Truman?
Sent from my iPad