Booting My Rescue Mare

Roger Rittenhouse

Jul 11, 2014, 3:38:11 PM7/11/14
to ride...@endurance.net
I am riding Starr out for longer rides and starting to go on rougher trails. Barefoot works sort of.. She goes  on hard top and over some thin gravel but not happy. Few mis-steps and limp here and there. So its time to boot.
I thought my EzCare Glove BC Gloves would work.. I thought the 2.5 boot would fit the front and 2 would fit the rear. So I bought a  almost new size 2 and a new size 2. The 2.5 size were used on my gelding.
Well after a proper trim  none fit :) Such is my luck.
They all made the flip flop sound when we walked.   Size 2 fit the front. I guess she needs a 1.5 for the rear.

No money to get new boots.
So, went into the boot box.
Pulled out 4  size 1 Bonnie B4 Boots.  2 were the newest version. They had the heel strap leather sleeves to cover the rivets. Fit the front great. Well almost the front right is a bit smaller. I messed with the  foam wrap around inserts. I got them to fit  good enough.
The hind is a bit smaller. I used the older versions. One is early  beta V0  :). Really the old design but with strips of velcro-on foam I got it fit OK. The other is V1 not current product but better fit.

So we head out for a ride.
What a difference in the way she moves. Steps out on the hard top road. Nice walk and gait. It appears even after being BF for a year plus, she really in not a BF horse.
We went over the stony trail at a strong gait, no miss-steps.
While I have hodge podge mix of boots, these work great.
Takes about as much effort and time to install as the EZB BC Gloves.

I could not use the B4 boots on Omni due to the way he traveled.
They are working great on the mare.  She gaits better then BF
Of course they do  'look' like a walking horse  'package' shoe. Should really freak out the TWH riders when we run into them out on trail :)

Of course I have no idea what gait she is doing, not much head swing and it sort of feels like a foxtrot. Head goes up down some. I need to get a video of her gaiting on the road.

Her training has moved to on-trail. Ring work is getting boring for both of us.  :)

While she is not the nice quite easy going mare  -ride- I wanted she is doing OK. And I like her. We are getting down the trail.

RogerR

Dawn Carrie

Jul 11, 2014, 11:45:57 PM7/11/14
to ridecamp

Whoo hoo!!! Great news Roger!!! I love reading your updates.  And that you are liking her...so wonderful that your hard work is paying off and she is turning out to be a nice riding horse. She just might end up repaying you for your kindness in taking her in by becoming a solid mount.

Dawn

Laney Humphrey

Jul 12, 2014, 1:06:21 PM7/12/14
to ride...@endurance.net
Yay Roger! For your kindness is taking her in and for your
persistence in working thru her issues, including booting! She may
not yet be the quiet, easy-ride mare you hoped for but as the two of
you work together and bond; I'll bet she'll trust you even more and
became a great ride.
Laney

Bobbie Brown

Jul 14, 2014, 12:50:24 PM7/14/14
to ride...@endurance.net
Roger....thanx for the update....so glad things are working out for you!

Bobbie Brown