OAeBU Data Trust: inaugural Board of Trustees and Executive Director

Hawkins, Kevin

Jan 7, 2022, 5:15:00 PM1/7/22
to ebook-data-trus...@googlegroups.com, ebook-data-trus...@googlegroups.com, ebook-data...@googlegroups.com, oa-ebu-data-trust-a...@googlegroups.com, oaebu-data-trust-uni...@googlegroups.com, oa-ebu-data-trust-lib...@googlegroups.com, oaebu-data-trus...@educopia.org, oa-ebu-data-trust-soci...@googlegroups.com, oa-ebu-data-trust-comm...@googlegroups.com, oa-ebu-data-trust-publishi...@googlegroups.com, oa-ebu-data-trust-p...@googlegroups.com, oaebu-datatrust-n...@googlegroups.com

Happy New Year, members of the OAeBU community!

I want to send a brief note to update you on progress on the establishment of the OAeBU Data Trust.  More details on the OAeBU project as a whole will follow in our next quarterly update, to be sent as usual to our main announcement list.

I am happy to report that 17 candidates were on the slate for last month’s election to the inaugural OAeBU Data Trust Board of Trustees.  According to our governance framework, the following 9 people have been appointed as our inaugural trustees, listed in alphabetical order:

  • Christina Drummond (Educopia)
  • Jon Elwell (EBSCO)
  • Lorraine Estelle (COUNTER)
  • Kevin Hawkins (University of North Texas)
  • Jennifer Kemp (Crossref)
  • Sharla Lair (Lyrasis)
  • Cameron Neylon (Curtin University)
  • Wendy Queen (Project MUSE)
  • Charles Watkinson (University of Michigan)

Furthermore, over the holiday and after the Board election, Christina Drummond, our project’s program officer, received a competitive outside job offer, and her fellow Trustees decided to retain her on the OAeBU Data Trust effort by offering her the role of Executive Director of the Data Trust. As the ED is an ex-officio representative on the Board according to our governance framework, Christina vacated her voting Trustee seat upon accepting the offer. The Board has decided to appoint Dimitris Pierrakos (OpenAIRE Metrics Service and Usage Statistics), who received the next highest number of votes in the election, to take Christina’s place on the Board.

The Board will meet soon to select officers and begin providing oversight for the next phase of the Data Trust.

Kevin Hawkins (he/him)

University of North Texas Libraries

On behalf of the OAeBU Board of Trustees