Re: Campbell's challenge

Paul Nuechterlein

Nov 25, 2010, 9:05:02 AM11/25/10
to Lutherans Exploring Post-Lutheranism
Here is a quote from the Conclusion (p. 934):

It is very important to appreciate that this analysis is consequently
not an attack on *the* gospel but an attack on *a version of* the
gospel, and *one that I maintain Paul himself would view as false.* It
is therefore a thoroughly evangelical discussion in both method and
purpose. Moreover, the solution that I am aiming toward is deeply
Protestant if not Lutheran. To put things at their simplest, only if
my rereading is true is it possible to affirm coherently Paul’s slogan
that “God justifies the ungodly,” since he means by this that God
delivers the wicked from their enslavement to Sin, when they cannot
deliver themselves, and thereby demonstrates his unconditional grace
and love. Alternative construals of this slogan are caught by
irreconcilable contradictions and theological conundrums — issues of
theodicy, capacity, and so on. But in affirming the slogan in this
sense we are of course being loyal to some of the central insights of
Protestantism and of Luther. Furthermore, only now is it possible to
affirm coherently Paul’s construal of “sanctification,” which he seems
to discuss with such profundity in Romans 5-8, elevating this material
now to its rightful status. Paul’s account of sanctification *is* the
gospel. His description of deliverance and cleansing “in Christ,”
through the work of the Spirit, at the behest of the Father, the
entire process being symbolized by baptism, *is* the good news. It
requires no supplementation by other systems.