were old discussion meetings archived?

Kirk Kestler

Mar 10, 2011, 1:35:55 PM3/10/11
to Welcome
This is my first time on the Google groups form of ecunet. I was
looking to log in to ecunet via presbynet, but it appears to be gone
altogether. However, since I have a google account, I was able to log
in that way.

I notice that there are currently only about 37 "groups" or
discussions on this new platform.

My question -- what happened to all the previous discussions? Were
they archived anywhere, is there access to them? I would love to find
a way to scroll through all the old posts on "eculaugh" for example.

Kirk Kestler

Glenn Cooper

Mar 10, 2011, 2:50:46 PM3/10/11
to welcom...@ecunet.org
Old meetings and their contents have disappeared. Before the shift to
Google, members were warned to go get anything they wanted because it
would all be gone after the transition.

I also regret the loss, but since there is not paid staff with this
version of ecunet, there are limitations.

Paul Edison-Swift

Mar 10, 2011, 3:43:12 PM3/10/11
to Welcome
Sorry, I forgot to reply to the group ...

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 12:55 PM, Paul Edison-Swift <paul_edi...@ecunet.org> wrote:
Hi Pastor Kirk,

If you browse all groups (http://groups.google.com/a/ecunet.org/groups/dir) you'll find that there are currently 85 public groups on this Google Groups platform for Ecunet. Some of those are restricted to people who have a free @ecunet.org address.

The old Ecunet servers are now gone. We did save the public meeting data, but are waiting for the programmer of the old Ecunet to find the time to extract that data in a usable form we can share. When those archives become available we'll announce that to everyone who currently has an @ecunet.org address.

If you haven't claimed your kirk_k...@ecunet.org account yet, just try logging in at www.ecunet.org and enter kirk_kestler as your account name. If you can't remember your password or if it doesn't work, click the "Sign up for Ecunet" link at www.ecunet.org and fill out the form so I can reset your password. Using your @ecunet.org should be familiar to you, since it is a gmail-type account.

Warm regards, Paul

P.S. Email sent to kirk_k...@presbynet.org will arrive at your kirk_k...@ecunet.org address.

Houston Hodges

Mar 10, 2011, 7:33:43 PM3/10/11
to Welcome, Kirk Kestler
Glad you're back, Kirk, and going to give this new lashup a try. It's
different! But I have to keep reminding myself that "Different isn't
bad." Taking some time to get it going, however. But so did the "old"
Ecunet!

Elsa Clark

Mar 10, 2011, 10:13:56 PM3/10/11
to Welcome, Kirk Kestler
Kirk there are six pages of groups listed under "Browse all groups".
If you had an active account before the move you were moved over and
would have an ecunet address. If not, you might find it worthwhile to
open an ecunet account. Some groups, for security or privacy
purposes, limit membership to those with ecunet addresses.
Elsa

Paul Edison-Swift

Mar 11, 2011, 10:19:46 AM3/11/11
to Kirk Kestler, Welcome
Hi again Pastor Kirk,

Glad you were able to log in. We did try to import account information for all paid accounts. Previous Lite members (or anyone) can sign up for a free @ecunet.org inbox on the new platform.

I hope you'll consider starting up EcuLaugh again. Watch for announcement in the Ecunet group if we're able to resurrect the archive.

Take a look at this FAQ for options for connecting to Ecunet:

http://www.ecunet.org/faq/whataremyoptionsforconnectingtoecunet

I think the key is to keep it simple. The default when you join a group is that notes are sent to the email address you use to join the group. I use the Ecunet gmail interface for most groups, and use filters and labels to put notes into folders so they don't clog my personal inbox.

As far as managing your two gmail accounts goes: you should actually be able to open your revk...@gmail.com in one browser tab and your Kirk_K...@ecunet.org in another tab. I usually use two browsers just to help keep things straight (Chrome for my personal account and FireFox or IE for work). Google now has a "multiple sign in" feature that you could also try:

http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=69570

Let me know if you have any additional questions.

Welcome back, Paul

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 3:12 PM, Kirk Kestler <revk...@gmail.com> wrote:
Paul,

Thank you so much for your helpful response.

Since I use gmail and already have a google account, Google groups didn't like it when I attempted to sign in using an ecunet account name.  I had to log out of ecunet as revk...@gmail.com.  Then, I was able to log in using the new form of my old presbynet user name -- so now it's Kirk_K...@ecunet.org, as you indicated it would be.  My previous password still worked, so the system had some memory of me.

I checked out the groups directory.  It appears that eculaugh is no longer there.  Maybe Ray Kerley didn't feel like continuing it when the system changed over.
Long ago I used to moderate some groups -- in the early 90s when there were still many people using ecunet.  But later on, when I began to spend more time on the web -- I spent less and less time on ecunet.  I looks like my experience wasn't unique.

Now -- if I join a group on the new ecunet, will postings be automatically forward to my email inbox?  That's the way it is with yahoo groups.  Just wondering.

Again -- your email succinctly gave me the information I needed.  Thank you.

Kirk Kestler

On Thu, Mar 10, 2011 at 12:35 PM, Kirk Kestler <revk...@gmail.com> wrote:

--
"You must do this work with love or you fail."    -- John Muir, from How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive