Help

R E LANGFORD JR

Jul 13, 2016, 11:42:53 AM7/13/16
to Ecunet Help
Greetings!

This is a technical question. I do not know if it is even possible.

Can a Greek font, or a German one, be installed on my connection to compose letters @ Ecunet? Then, I can write proper looking letters with decent quotations. I am finally tired of trying to do so.

Picture
Rejoice, our risen Messiah Jesus grants us time
  in 2016
 to repent and believe the gospel!
The Rev'd R E LANGFORD JR, FAPC, ELCA Pastor
   ! retired
!

in glorious, downtown, historic, Charlestown, Maryland
@ the confluence of the North East River with the Chesapeake Bay

39.58°N by 75.98°W
My clarity of conscience and my purity of heart are undisputed evidence that my memory is failing me.

`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸..·´¯`·...¸ ><(((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.· ><((º>

Ray Kerley

Jul 13, 2016, 12:26:24 PM7/13/16
to Ecunet Help
While you can install Greek, German, etc. fonts on your own computer
and things will look fine on your machine, the recipients of your
messages will also need to have the same font installed on their machine
for things to display properly.
-----------------------------------
Ray Kerley
5745 South 700 West
Murray, UT 84123
Phone: 801/269-8827

This message uses 100% post-consumer recycled electrons! Email is
packaged by intellectual weight, not volume. Some settling of contents
may have occurred during transmission.

/"\
\ / ASCII ribbon campaign
X against HTML mail
/ \ and postings - est. June 1998

This is a technical question. I do not know if it is even possible.

Can a Greek font, or a German one, be installed on my connection to
compose letters @ Ecunet? Then, I can write proper looking letters with
decent quotations. I am finally tired of trying to do so.

Rejoice, our risen Messiah Jesus grants us time
in 2016 to repent and believe the gospel!
The Rev'd R E LANGFORD JR, FAPC, ELCA Pastor ! retired !
in glorious, downtown, historic, Charlestown, Maryland
@ the confluence of the North East River with the Chesapeake Bay
39.58°N by 75.98°W

My clarity of conscience and my purity of heart are undisputed evidence
that my memory is failing me.

`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸..·´¯`·...¸ ><(((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·
><((º>

R E LANGFORD JR

Jul 13, 2016, 6:10:08 PM7/13/16
to Ecunet Help
Hello to Ray Kerley!​
                               .
Wouldn't you know there's no joy in Mudville tonight? (Rats!) It may be summertime, but I've "struck out" on several questions recently, and my middle name isn't even Casey.

Maybe you can assure me that a letter composed in MS Word, and forwarded as an attachment, would be seen by the recipient as I wrote it? Or, ought I first send news of where to get free Greek (classical, boldface Nestle, and modern) fonts from the www? Maybe the same would work for antique German and Hebrew? I've found all these fonts already.
                                 .
Maybe e-mail is not intended for people with an interest in things biblical? Surely the scholarly types have already solved such a trivial problem?

Picture

`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸..·´¯`·...¸ ><(((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.· ><((º>

Mike Bailey

Jul 13, 2016, 7:00:29 PM7/13/16
to ecunet_h...@ecunet.org
You do not need a new font. Modern 16 bit character sets are capable of encoding every known written character on earth in a single font. The trick is whether or not the Google/Ecunet interface can handle the 16 bit encoding and whether or not the readers computer is capable of dealing with it. Additionally there is always the issue of left to right and right to left flow in different languages. My suggestion would be to prepare your Greek or German text in the word processor of your choice on your computer and then saving the resulting document as a PDF. Attach the PDF to an email addressed to the particular Ecunet forum or individual and that solves the problem. There are very few people who cannot open a PDF and the characters used in the PDF are embedded in the file so the font does not have to be on your recipients computer.

I am on a Mac, and I am not well suited to advise you about editors on a PC, but on the Mac any editor can handle the 16 bit character sets but Mellel and OpenOffice are adept at both left to right and right to left text flow. By the way I have three versions of Greek and three versions of German characters as well.

____________

Mike Bailey

R E LANGFORD JR

Jul 13, 2016, 8:29:55 PM7/13/16
to Ecunet Help
10,000 thanks, Mike Bailey!

That is a much simpler way of dealing with what's been for me an incredible headache. Of course, my 'puter can read and create 'PDF' files, but editing them is a pussycat with a different stripe. You are, of course, correct in that archaic Greek runs both ways on the lines, and naturally Hebrew runs right to left. I can only dream there were a lot of sinister scribes back in the day. . .  😀 . . .

Again, TYVM!

Picture

Murphy was an optimist.

`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸..·´¯`·...¸ ><(((((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸><((º> `·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.· ><((º>

Mike Bailey

Jul 13, 2016, 9:47:30 PM7/13/16
to ecunet_h...@ecunet.org
To help with your writing:
  • OpenOffice is an open source donation ware office suite in a single application that is compatible with Microsoft Office files and supports both left to right and right to left text. It might help with your project.
  • Mellel is an excellent word processor for academic and similar work that supports both left to right and right to left text flow (it is written by Israelis), but it runs only on Macs and iPads and it is not compatible with other word processors.
  • If you are into a really serious writing project you might also look at Scrivener from Literature & Latte. A serious document creating tool that allows you to focus on research and content and it takes care of most of the formatting and layout when you are finally ready to go to press. It is available on both Mac and Windows and supposedly late this month on the iPad. It is truly the tool for serious writers.

Full disclosure: I have no pecuniary or other relationship with OpenOffice.org, Mellel, or Literature & Latte other than being a user of their products.

____________

Mike Bailey

On Wed, Jul 13, 2016 at 7:00 PM, Mike Bailey <mike_...@ecunet.org> wrote:
[...]

<unknown.png>

Mike Bailey

Ray Kerley

Jul 14, 2016, 11:22:07 AM7/14/16
to Ecunet Help
WordPerfect reads and writes to PDF files and is used where I work
to handle all kinds of (mostly legal) documents.

mailto:ecunet_help.topic%2Bunsu...@ecunet.org