Europe PMC Web Services Announcement (Version 6.9)

Europe PMC Developer Forum

Aug 16, 2023, 5:51:50 AM8/16/23
to Europe PMC Developer Forum

Dear Europe PMC Webservice Users,

We would like to announce the release of version 6.9 of our REST web services, which mainly focuses on exposing the evaluation/ peer review information available for an article.

Hence this new version introduces a new API endpoint and a new field in our article core type response as follows:

  1. API:

We have introduced a new Restful API (GET endpoint), which allows users to retrieve evaluations/peer review information for a given publication provided a specific source and its corresponding id.

Evaluation information includes a list of evaluations/ peer review information available for an article. Evaluation/ peer review information is composed of the following: doi, url, data origin (ex: DocMap), platform (ex: eLife/ Review Commons etc), type (ex: journal-publication/ author-response), list of evaluators, date of evaluation and date of its update.

API url:

GET

https://www.ebi.ac.uk/europepmc/webservices/test/rest/evaluations/{source}/{id}

This API also accepts “format”  as a query parameter.

source can be one of the following:

[AGR, CBA, CIT, CTX, ETH, HIR, MED, NBK, PAT, PMC, PPR]

id is the article id. It can be PubMed id, PMC id, etc.

format indicates the format of the response. It can be either XML (default) or JSON. Format can be also determined by accept header.

Example:

GET https://www.ebi.ac.uk/europepmc/webservices/test/rest/evaluations/PPR/PPR348584

<responseWrapper xmlns:slx="http://www.scholix.org" xmlns:epmc="https://www.europepmc.org/data">

<version>6.9</version>

<evaluationList>

<evaluation>

<id>502995</id>

<doi>10.1101/2021.05.26.445735</doi>

<url>https://hypothes.is/a/nQZY-J4uEey1iMO7u366pg</url>

<dataOrigin>docmap</dataOrigin>

<platform>review commons</platform>

<type>author-response</type>

<evaluatorsList>

<evaluator>

<name>Ludovic Cervera</name>

</evaluator>

<evaluator>

<name>Lionel Tosello</name>

</evaluator>

<evaluator>

<name>Laurence Cailleteau</name>

</evaluator>

<evaluator>

<name>Floriane S. Tissot</name>

</evaluator>

<evaluator>

<name>Chloé C. Féral</name>

</evaluator>

<evaluator>

<name>Kim B Jensen</name>

</evaluator>

<evaluator>

<name>Soline Estrach</name>

</evaluator>

</evaluatorsList>

<evaluationDate>2022-03-07 15:52:38.142161</evaluationDate>

<dateUpdated>2023-08-10 13:04:10</dateUpdated>

</evaluation>

<evaluation>

<id>502992</id>

<doi>10.1101/2021.05.26.445735</doi>

<url>https://hypothes.is/a/nHCJrp4uEeyyswO0V7IVuw</url>

<dataOrigin>docmap</dataOrigin>

<platform>review commons</platform>

<type>review</type>

<evaluatorsList>

<evaluator>

<name>anonymous</name>

</evaluator>

</evaluatorsList>

<evaluationDate>2022-03-07 15:52:37.159596</evaluationDate>

<dateUpdated>2023-08-10 13:04:10</dateUpdated>

  </evaluation>

<evaluation>

<id>502993</id>

<doi>10.1101/2021.05.26.445735</doi>

<url>https://hypothes.is/a/nEGXXJ4uEeylVA_THgWGVQ</url>

<dataOrigin>docmap</dataOrigin>

<platform>review commons</platform>

<type>review</type>

<evaluatorsList>

<evaluator>

<name>anonymous</name>

</evaluator>

</evaluatorsList>

<evaluationDate>2022-03-07 15:52:36.865273</evaluationDate>

<dateUpdated>2023-08-10 13:04:10</dateUpdated>

</evaluation>

<evaluation>

<id>502994</id>

<doi>10.1101/2021.05.26.445735</doi>

<url>https://hypothes.is/a/m6sO4J4uEeyISatgEPl3Mg</url>

<dataOrigin>docmap</dataOrigin>

<platform>review commons</platform>

<type>review</type>

<evaluatorsList>

<evaluator>

<name>anonymous</name>

</evaluator>

</evaluatorsList>

<evaluationDate>2022-03-07 15:52:35.871279</evaluationDate>

<dateUpdated>2023-08-10 13:04:10</dateUpdated>

</evaluation>

</evaluationList>

</responseWrapper>

  1. Field: hasEvaluations

This version also introduces a new field “<hasEvaluations>” in the core type response of the REST article GET search endpoint. This field indicates whether a specific article has evaluation/ peer review data available (‘Y’ (or) ‘N’). Currently this field is only applicable to preprint articles (with source PPR), which are the only articles having multiple versions.

  • Hence many preprint articles will now have the “<hasEvaluations>” field included in the existing “<version>” section which is found inside the “<versionList>”

For example, the output of the following API call, "https://www.ebi.ac.uk/europepmc/webservices/test/rest/article/PPR/PPR433476?resultType=core" used to be in this format:

<versionList>

<version>

<id>PPR138921</id>

<source>PPR</source>

<firstPublishDate>2020-04-03</firstPublishDate>

<versionNumber>1</versionNumber>

<pubTypeList>

<pubType>preprint</pubType>

</pubTypeList>

</version>

<version>

<id>PPR164087</id>

<source>PPR</source>

<firstPublishDate>2020-05-18</firstPublishDate>

<versionNumber>2</versionNumber>

<pubTypeList>

<pubType>preprint</pubType>

</pubTypeList>

</version>

</versionList>

While in the new version, it has the hasEvaluations field included in each version as below:

<versionList>

<version>

<id>PPR138921</id>

<source>PPR</source>

<firstPublishDate>2020-04-03</firstPublishDate>

<versionNumber>1</versionNumber>

<pubTypeList>

<pubType>preprint</pubType>

</pubTypeList>

<hasEvaluations>Y</hasEvaluations>

</version>

<version>

<id>PPR164087</id>

<source>PPR</source>

<firstPublishDate>2020-05-18</firstPublishDate>

<versionNumber>2</versionNumber>

<pubTypeList>

<pubType>preprint</pubType>

</pubTypeList>

<hasEvaluations>N</hasEvaluations>

</version>

</versionList>

  • We have also included this field hasEvaluations in the outer core response of article api to indicate if the current/ latest version of the article that we are searching has evaluation/ peer review information available as below:

<versionList>

<version>

<id>PPR138921</id>

<source>PPR</source>

<firstPublishDate>2020-04-03</firstPublishDate>

<versionNumber>1</versionNumber>

<pubTypeList>

<pubType>preprint</pubType>

</pubTypeList>

<hasEvaluations>Y</hasEvaluations>

</version>

<version>

<id>PPR164087</id>

<source>PPR</source>

<firstPublishDate>2020-05-18</firstPublishDate>

<versionNumber>2</versionNumber>

<pubTypeList>

<pubType>preprint</pubType>

</pubTypeList>

<hasEvaluations>N</hasEvaluations>

</version>

<versionNumber>2</versionNumber>

<hasEvaluations>N</hasEvaluations>

The above hasEvaluations in the outer core response of the article api indicates that the current/ latest version of the article (2) that we are searching for has no evaluations. This is primarily to accommodate preprints with unknown versioning, where there is no <versionList> element in the response.

This version of the release is now available on migration server

REST: https://www.ebi.ac.uk/europepmc/webservices/test/rest

We plan to move this version to production after two weeks. After the production release, we will send you another message to confirm.

Please let us know if you have any queries.

Regards,

Europe PMC team

Madhumiethaa Jayaprabha Palanisamy

Sep 1, 2023, 5:21:42 AM9/1/23
to Europe PMC Developer Forum, Europe PMC Developer Forum

Dear Europe PMC Webservice Users,

The Web Service version 6.9.0 has been successfully deployed to production yesterday.

Live Rest URL: https://www.ebi.ac.uk/europepmc/webservices/rest

  • We have also introduced a new search field HAS_VERSION_EVALUATIONS:

This field Limits search results to those articles/ any of its versions with peer reviews/evaluations.

Example:

https://www.ebi.ac.uk/europepmc/webservices/rest/search/query=HAS_VERSION_EVALUATIONS:Y

Kind regards,

Europe PMC Team