EarthScope Webinar - Thursday (3/16) @ 2p ET - Seismic Interferometry: 4D Monitoring of Groundwater Fluctuations and Beyond

Justin Sweet

Mar 1, 2023, 4:15:48 PM3/1/23
to EarthScope General
Please register for the next EarthScope Webinar happening Thursday, March 16th at 2PM Eastern

Title: Seismic Interferometry: 4D Monitoring of Groundwater Fluctuations and Beyond

Author/Presenter: Dr. Shujuan Mao, Stanford University

Register in advance for this webinar:
https://us06web.zoom.us/webinar/register/WN_tipoD5SPRPSPmLI4b7ZJXA

After registering, you will receive a confirmation email containing information about joining the webinar.

Abstract: Historic levels of drought, globally, call for sustainable freshwater management. Under pressing demand is a refined understanding of the structures and dynamics of groundwater systems. In this seminar I will present an unconventional, cost-effective approach to aquifer monitoring using seismograph arrays. Employing advanced seismic interferometry techniques, we calculate the space-time evolution of seismic velocity changes, as a measure of hydrological properties. During 20002020 in basins near Los Angeles, seismic velocity variations match groundwater tables measured in wells and surface deformations inferred from satellite sensing, but the seismological approach adds temporal and depth resolutions for deep structures and processes. Maps of long-term seismic velocity changes reveal distinct patterns (decline or recovery) of groundwater storage in basins that are adjacent but adjudicated to water districts conducting different pumping practices. This pilot application bridges the gap between seismology and hydrology, and shows the promise of leveraging seismometers worldwide to provide 4D (space-time) characterizations of groundwater. I will also demonstrate the potential of utilizing the passive seismic interferometry for monitoring other near-surface systems.

All EarthScope webinars are archived for later viewing at

Justin Sweet, PhD
Project Manager
justin...@earthscope.org