EarthScope Board of Directors nominations

Scott Johnson

Aug 29, 2023, 11:09:10 AM8/29/23
to EarthScope General
EarthScope logo

Dear Community:

It is the time of year for nominations to the EarthScope Consortium Board of Directors. One of the most important principles underlying the formation of the Consortium (following the merger of IRIS and UNAVCO) is a commitment to broad participation from across the Earth sciences community. As part of realizing that commitment, we are working to create inclusive pathways to participate in corporate governance. If you would like to self-nominate or nominate a colleague for consideration for the EarthScope Board, we now have a simple portal to allow you to do so.

Anyone can nominate a potential Board Director, as long as that person is willing to serve—so if you are nominating a colleague, please first check that they are open to serving in the position. Then, just connect using our form. All nominees will be considered by the Nomination Committee, who will put together a final slate for the Board elections. Nominations are open until September 20, 2023. We expect the election to open on November 1, 2023 and close just before AGU (December 11-15, 2023), with an announcement of the new Directors at AGU.

Directors of the EarthScope Board play a key role in providing the overall strategic direction to the organization. They help steer Consortium activities at the highest level, consider long-term strategies that further EarthScope’s mission, and make sure it acts in the best interests of its members. Directors also ensure that the organization is managed well, handles its finances carefully, and meets all the obligations of grants and contracts.

Serving on the Board is a great way to serve a very broad set of stakeholders in geophysics and Earth System Science. EarthScope Board Directors have opportunities to meet and collaborate with one another, to interact with representatives of federal funding agencies, to learn about cutting-edge research and technical initiatives, and to help prioritize new and ongoing activities of the organization. EarthScope supports hybrid meetings for its Board, and provides travel support to attend Board meetings and annual Science Workshops. EarthScope also provides its Directors with training in corporate governance practices as well as with leadership development training and mentoring.

We hope that you will think creatively and broadly about diverse perspectives and voices that can help the EarthScope Consortium to continue to excel in its mission of “transforming global geophysical research and education.” Please nominate yourself or someone else who can help EarthScope continue to grow into the best version of itself.

Twitter Facebook Linkedin Instagram YouTube TikTok