AGU Session T029: Understanding the Seismic Cycle and the Role of Transient Deformations: A Multidisciplinary Approach

Louise Maubant

Jun 27, 2024, 3:51:42 PM (6 days ago) Jun 27
to earthscop...@earthscope.org
Dear EarthScope Community,

With the AGU abstract deadline approaching in a month, we are excited to invite you to submit your abstracts to our session T029: Understanding the Seismic Cycle and the Role of Transient Deformations: A Multidisciplinary Approach.

Session Overview:
Our session aims to bring together contributions from various fields, including seismology, geodesy, geology, and laboratory experimentation, to explore slow deformation and its impact on the seismic cycle. We encourage submissions that integrate diverse methodologies and datasets to provide a comprehensive understanding of the seismic cycle.

Session abstract:
Studies in seismology and geodesy give us precise details about how the earth moves and changes over time. However, our geophysical investigations often represent just a small part of the long history of the seismic cycle. This session will showcase research that looks at the seismic cycle in new ways by integrating different disciplines and datasets. We seek abstracts about seismic cycles over longer time periods driven by various methods, from looking at geological evidence to using numerical models that simulate the seismic cycle. We are especially interested in aseismic slip and how this can affect areas prone to earthquakes, from subduction to crustal faults. We welcome researchers who are using new and combined methods to study these issues. By sharing knowledge from geology, geophysics, numerical modeling, and more, we hope to shed light on broad spectrum of faulting behavior.

Conveners:
Louise Maubant, The Australian National University
Matthew Tarling, McGill University
Andrew Gase, Western Washington University
William Frank, Massachusetts Institute of Technology

Regards,
Louise Maubant

Louise Maubant
Postdoctoral Fellow