The Cascadia Region Earthquake Science Center

Diego Melgar Moctezuma

Sep 14, 2023, 6:08:46 PM9/14/23
to earthscop...@earthscope.org

Colleagues,

We are pleased to announce the creation of the Cascadia Region Earthquake Science Center (CRESCENT)!

With funding from the National Science Foundation, CRESCENT has a three-pronged mandate (i) Carry out basic and applied research into earthquake hazards at the Cascadia Subduction Zone (CSZ), (ii) carry out impactful educational and workforce-related activities to train the next generation of diverse geoscientists and (iii) engage in bi-directional communication with the diverse cross-section of community partners involved in planning for and responding to earthquake hazards in the region.

The start date for the project is this October 1st and we know that you have many questions about the center, about its activities, and about how to get involved. A website describing our structure and opportunities to be a part of CRESCENT is forthcoming.

We will host a kickoff meeting October 23rd – 25th at the University of Oregon campus in Eugene, OR. This is an organizational and planning event to introduce the center structure and sharpen the plans for the major activities originally set forth in the proposal submitted in March of 2022. You can read that narrative here or peruse the executive summary here.

We are excited about having a diverse cross-section of Earth Scientists involved in CRESCENT, so, another goal of the meeting is to collect feedback from the community, and to use it to adjust the center’s plans as necessary. Larger meetings focused on Cascadia science, which may be of interest to the broader community, as well as narrower “deep-dive” discipline-specific topical meetings are planned for subsequent years.

We have limited space for additional community members to attend the kickoff meeting in person. Researchers and professionals at all career levels who are interested or engaged with any aspect of CSZ earthquake hazards or geoscience education and want to attend in person please apply here. Applications will close on September 21st and we will notify you soon after if we can accommodate you. Additionally, the first day of the meeting, which will focus on describing the center and its activities, will have a remote participation option. If you are interested in attending online please indicate so at the same application link.

To keep up to date with CRESCENT activities and announcements, please subscribe to our mailing list . You can also join our public Slack workspace and engage in conversation with current (and new!) participants in the center.

Thank you and we look forward to your involvement.

Diego Melgar on behalf of the CRESCENT team

--

Director

Cascadia Region Earthquake Science Center (CRESCENT)

Ann & Lew Williams Associate Professor of Earth Sciences

University of Oregon