When science meets industry... a special session that walks the line!! (18WCEE Milan)

Olga-Joan Ktenidou

May 9, 2023, 5:30:17 PM5/9/23
to earthscop...@earthscope.org, Olga-Joan Ktenidou, Asimaki, Domniki (Domniki), Hiroe Miyake

Dear friends and colleagues,

You are cordially invited to a special session dedicated to the output of high-end national and international earthquakee engineering and seismology projects from around the world! Our session is somewhat romantically called "When science meets industry: Advances in engineering seismology stemming from engineering practice" and will be happening at the WCEE next summer in Milan (https://www.wcee2024.it/contributions/).

People who work in this industry-academia interface have long shaped (and are shaping) the state of the art by making impactful advances through solving real-life problems. We thought it would be great to get such folks from various companies, organisations, research agencies, universities etc. together, and showcase/foster such fruitful collaborations.

Our invited speakers are Julian Bommer, Kuo-Fong Ma, Sissy Nikolaou, Sanjay Bora, and Zeynep Gulerce. They practically span the globe as well as the variety of entities we’d like to bring together, such as academia, research, consulting, state agencies and international organisations!

We would like to invite you and your groups/firms/organisations to present your work in such a context. It could be on overviews/lessons learnt from past projects or challenges/findings from the ongoing ones. We are copying our session description below. Abstracts are due next Monday 15 May.. unless extended!!

Please also spread the word to anyone you think might like it!

We hope to see you all next summer, and walk the science-industry line together!

Best wishes,

Olga, Domniki and Hiroe

------

A QUICK GUIDE TO SUBMITTING!

The link to our 1-pager with all the session details can be found here: https://d10qmes3r0zm40.cloudfront.net/wcee2024-congress/wp-content/uploads/2023/04/03094607/WCEE2024_SHR-7.pdf

The actual submission process happens in here: https://services.aimgroup.eu/ASPClient/loginindividual.asp?eventoid=5002 and requires you to have registered first!

You’ll first need to type in authors and affiliations on an online form, then select “technical session 16: seismic hazard & risk”, and then “special session 16-7: SHR-7”… the party is here!! Then you can then type in your abstract, up to 2000 characters, etc.

------

SESSION DESCRIPTION:

SHR-7: When science meets industry: advances in engineering seismology stemming from engineering practice

Conveners:

Olga-Joan Ktenidou, National Observatory of Athens, Greece

Domniki Asimaki, CalTech, USA

Hiroe Miyake, ERI UTokyo, Japan

The challenges encountered in major industrial projects can provide a springboard for research and innovation, bringing about several advances in the Engineering and Seismological communities. In the US, it has long been the case that cutting-edge research in engineering seismology does not only originate in a purely academic context but also from practice in large-scale projects between academia and industry aimed at solving real case-specific challenges, not least in the domain of seismic hazard assessment. In more recent years, large national and international industrial projects in many other countries and continents have also begun to shape the state-of-the-art in science, technology and practice, developing new approaches and innovative techniques in several topics, including source processes, ground motion, hazard assessment and uncertainty, induced seismicity, earthquake engineering and design, and more.

This session aims to bring together the Engineering and Seismological communities and create a platform for discussion and exchange concerning recent advances in any aspect of engineering seismology where innovation in data, models or methods has been driven by the needs of industry. We welcome contributions from academics and practitioners, national bureau rendering expert services, organisations from the energy and other sectors, companies providing research-led consulting. We also seek to hear from those developing new products, sensors, tools or software that are changing the state-of-the-art and to discuss exciting new possibilities for applications

Dr Olga-Joan Ktenidou
National Observatory of Athens
https://www.researchgate.net/profile/Olga-Joan_Ktenidou2
https://www.linkedin.com/in/olga-joan-ktenidou-58a1816b/