Invitation to Submit Abstracts for AGU Fall Meeting 2024: Tectonic, Magmatic and Geodynamic Studies of Rifts, Rifted Margins, and Ridges (T025)

Musila, Martin W

Jun 28, 2024, 10:08:08 AM (5 days ago) Jun 28
to earthscop...@earthscope.org
Dear EarthScope Community Members,
Calling all rift, ridge, and rifted margin enthusiasts!
We would like to draw your attention to an exciting session at the AGU Fall Meeting 2024 (December 9-13) and invite you to consider submitting an abstract.
Session Overview: The session aims to focus on understanding the tectonic, magmatic, and geodynamic processes at divergent plate boundaries. We welcome contributions on all types of rift/ridge settings using a variety of multi-geoscientific methods that includes seismological, electromagnetism, potential fields, petrological, geochemical, geodetic and geodynamic techniques. The session will involve investigations on mantle plume dynamics, extension-related volcanism and volatile flux, and magma supply, generation, and ascent. We also encourage submissions from those exploring rift-related geohazards and resource potential.
Session Title: Tectonic, Magmatic and Geodynamic Studies of Rifts, Rifted Margins and Ridges (T025)
Session Abstract: This session invites contributions concerned with understanding tectonic, magmatic, and geodynamic processes at divergent plate boundaries. Active extension and volcanism such as that observed along the East African Rift and the adjoining Red Sea and Gulf of Aden spreading centers allow study of both incipient rifts and recently-established seafloor spreading centers. Rifted margins and failed rifts provide a rich source of information concerning the tectonic and magmatic development of rifting through time. Backarc rifts also reveal information on the mechanisms driving plate extension and deformation, as well as the role of fluids in the rifting process. We therefore welcome investigations on all types of rift/ridge settings using a variety of multi-geoscientific methods: including seismological, electromagnetism, potential fields, petrological, geochemical, geodetic, and geodynamical investigations of mantle plume dynamics, extension-related volcanism and volatile flux, and magma supply, generation, and ascent. We also encourage submissions from those exploring rift-related geohazards and resource potential.
Session Link: To submit an abstract, please follow this link: https://agu.confex.com/agu/agu24/prelim.cgi/Session/228107
We look forward to receiving your abstracts and seeing you at the AGU Fall Meeting 2024!
Session Conveners:
  • Rita Kounoudis, University of Oxford, UK
  • Ian Bastow, Imperial College, UK
  • Cynthia Ebinger, Tulane University, USA
  • Paul Bedrosian, United States Geological Survey
  • Martin Musila, Tulane University, USA
Best wishes,
Martin Musila, MSc
Geothermal Energy
PhD candidate, Earth and Environmental Sciences
Tulane University
New Orleans, LA 70118