EarthScope Consortium Newsletter - August 2023

Scott Johnson

Aug 1, 2023, 11:47:54 AM8/1/23
to EarthScope General
EarthScope logo

Summer is internship season

All four of our summer internship programs have been running since late May. That includes a total of 32 interns this year!

Some interns have been spending the summer in one of two locations—Boulder, CO and Socorro, NM—while others worked remotely. Interns in the Student Career Internship Program have worked with EarthScope staff, while students in the Geo-Launchpad, URISE, and RESESS programs have worked on research projects with mentors at other institutions.

If you attend the GSA or AGU conferences later this year, you may see them presenting posters on their work or spending time at the EarthScope booth...

two group photos of interns on field trips

Meet the interns

Our Science Communication Interns have written profiles of interns from all our programs, which you can read in our News & Features section!

profile photo of Ann Mariya Malayil
photo of Becks Bendick

Meet the CEO

The EarthScope Consortium Board of Directors is pleased to announce the selection of Dr. Rebecca Bendick as the first CEO of EarthScope Consortium. Dr. Bendick has served as the interim CEO and was previously the president of UNAVCO.

The importance of citations

A survey analysis published in Seismological Research Letters found that the Global Seismographic Network is not consistently acknowledged in scientific literature and is underrepresented by roughly a factor of 3 in citation searches. Help ensure that publication metrics support continued network funding!

bar chart of cited and uncited papers from this study
data plot from article

Mapping Greenland firn with DAS

Researchers interested in determining the depth of the firn layer within a glacier might spend six hours drilling, extracting, and analyzing a core in frigid temperatures. A recent study applied Distributed Acoustic Sensing to map firn, instead—using the landing of a C-130 airplane as an active source.

Short course

Applications are open for the Multi-GNSS precise point positioning and PRIDE PPP-AR short course!

You can find past and upcoming webinars, short courses, and other events on the Calendar page of our website.

screenshot of calendar webpage
Twitter Facebook Linkedin Instagram YouTube TikTok