Retirement of Dr. Frederik Blume

Glen Mattioli

May 9, 2023, 5:14:03 PM5/9/23
to earthscop...@earthscope.org
Hi all,

Dr. Frederik Blume, aka Freddy, has resigned his Engineering Manager III position in charge of Geodetic Instrumentation Testing and Support (GITS) and NASA Global Geodetic Network (GGN) Management and announced his intention to retire from the EarthScope Consortium effective Friday, June 2, 2023.

Freddy has worked at UNAVCO (now EarthScope) for over 19 years and has been working in Earth Science for over 40 years.  Freddy received his bachelor’s degree from Princeton University, his masters degree from Stanford University, and his Ph.D. from the University of Colorado, Boulder under the direction of Prof. Roger Bilham.

I would like to take this opportunity to thank Freddy for his service to UNAVCO, the EarthScope Consortium, and the global geodetic community.  His contributions have spanned leadership on the PBO Nucleus project, supporting the UNAVCO response to the 2010 Maule M8.8 earthquake in Chile, reviewing responses to our preferred vendor solicitation for GNSS instrumentation in 2015, service to the IGS through the years, including most recently as the local chair of the virtual IGS Workshop in 2022, and his ongoing tracking of the impacts of Lightsquared and now Legado proposed communications system and its potential interference to terrestrial GNSS observations.

Please join me in wishing Freddy success in all his future endeavors along with a long, healthy, and enjoyable retirement.

Regards,

Glen S. Mattioli, Ph.D.
VP for Geodetic Instrumentation
EarthScope Consortium, Inc.