FAQ for summaries of your advances in geophysics

Lara Wagner

Mar 7, 2023, 7:45:17 PM3/7/23
to earthscop...@earthscope.org
Dear Colleagues,

We've had a number of requests for clarifications on our call for 1-page summaries (see below). It seemed most expedient to email out a quick FAQ.

What is the purpose of these one-pagers?
We would like to highlight recent research successes and emerging community directions to benefit future EarthScope proposals and alignment of initiatives with the community

Should these be abstracts for a scientific community or plain language summaries for the broader community?
We are hoping for something general enough to be understood by a broad swath of scientists - more technical than an plain language summary, but less technical than a conference abstract

What is the time scale of research that you are interested in?
3-5 years

Are you looking for individual projects or broader directions?
Either is fine

Are figures permitted/encouraged? What format should we use?
A figure is worth a thousand words. We encourage the inclusion of one or two figures to help illustrate the research being described. There are no formatting constraints beyond being a 1-page PDF that includes a title and your name(s) and affiliation(s).

Does the research described need to be published?
No - but please recognize that these are not intended to be kept confidential so please do not submit anything you are uncomfortable with sharing prior to publication.

------------

As the EarthScope Consortium looks to an innovative future of multidisciplinary geophysics, we would like to collect examples of your scientific advances. Examples of your science will help the EarthScope Consortium Board of Directors, Governance Committees, and Staff to better understand how to effectively support our community now and in the future. We would like to collect as many examples as possible in the form of 1-page summaries, including a brief abstract plus a figure and caption.

We are interested in the full spectrum of research enabled by the facilities operated by the EarthScope Consortium. This includes research that relies on well-established components of our facilities, research that utilizes new or emergent elements of our facilities, and research that represents novel directions or evolving interests within the geophysical community that may require entirely new facilities’ support. If you have a short summary or recent abstract that you’re willing to share, please send it to comm...@earthscope.org in PDF format. Questions can also be directed to the same email. Submissions prior to March 15, 2023 are appreciated.

With thanks,

The Earthscope Consortium Board of Directors

Lara Wagner (Chair)

Gareth Funning (Chair-elect)

Kristel Chanard

Zachary Eilon

Jeffrey Freymueller

Paul Lundgren

Beatrice Magnani

Frederik Simons

Brandon Schmandt

Anne Sheehan

Leigh Stearns

Tonie van Dam

--
Lara S. Wagner
(she/her)

Due to my own scheduling balance, you may get emails from me
outside of normal working hours. Please do not feel pressure to
respond outside of your own regular working hours unless otherwise indicated.