AGU24 Tectonophysics Session: T006 - From Earth to Sea: Geophysics and Geology of Modern and Ancient Accretionary Orogens

Link, Frederik

Jul 16, 2024, 11:12:54 AM (11 days ago) Jul 16
to earthscop...@earthscope.org
Dear EarthScope Community,

We welcome your submission to our AGU session (Tectonophysics, cross-listed with Volcanology/Geochemistry/Petrology, Seismology and Study of the Earth’s Deep Interior) on Geophysics and Geology of Modern and Ancient Accretionary Orogens.
T006 - From Earth to Sea: Geophysics and Geology of Modern and Ancient Accretionary Orogens
The accretion of oceanic and continental crustal terranes provides a unique record of past motions of (micro)plates, including the diverse set of physical and compositional conditions during collision. Such terranes are observed globally in both the modern and ancient geologic record, leading to orogenic events that shape the surface of our planet. While such orogens have been widely investigated, there remain important questions: i) What are the effects of structural inheritance, décollements, and syn-tectonic sedimentation on orogenic processes? ii) How are crust and mantle coupled during and after accretion? iii) How does tectonic inheritance influence subsequent intraplate processes? In this session, we aim to tackle these questions by considering multidisciplinary approaches. We look forward to receiving abstracts focusing on the dynamics, the geometry and structural evolution of accreted terranes, by means of a wide set of methodological approaches in both modern and ancient orogens.

We look forward to your contributions!
Abstracts are due July, 31 2024. To submit an abstract please follow this link to the abstract submission system.

Conveners
Frederik Link - Yale University
Yvette Kuiper - Colorado School of Mines
James Bourke - Rutgers University New Brunswick
Laura Webb - University of Vermont

Frederik Link
Postdoctoral Associate
Department of Earth and Planetary Sciences
Yale University
PO Box 208109, New Haven, CT 06520
https://people.earth.yale.edu/profile/frederik-link
he/him/his