2024 Photonic Seismology Session: Exploring the Frontier of Environmental Processes using Fiber-optic Sensing

Yang, Yan

May 6, 2024, 2:39:23 PMMay 6
to das-co...@earthscope.org
--- Apologies for cross-posting ---

Dear DAS Community,

The 2024 SSA Photonic Seismology Fall Meeting will take place 7-10 October in Vancouver, Canada (https://www.seismosoc.org/photonic/).

The abstract submission deadline is Monday, May 20th, 2024 (https://www.seismosoc.org/meetings/fall-meeting-submissions/).

We would like to invite you to consider submitting an abstract to the session "Exploring the Frontier of Environmental Processes using Fiber-optic Sensing”.

We seek contributions from researchers working on fiber-optic sensing technologies and their applications in studying environmental processes. Explore the wide range of topics in the detailed description below and join us in advancing this cutting-edge field!

Please take the opportunity to submit your abstract before the May 20th deadline.

Thank you,

Conveners:
Tieyuan Zhu (Penn State)
Danica Roth (Colorado School of Mines)
Yan Yang (Caltech)

Session Description:
Fiber-optic sensing offers unique capabilities for capturing high-resolution data across spatial and temporal scales, making it particularly valuable for studying dynamic environmental systems. This session aims to explore the unprecedented opportunities and advancements in monitoring enabled by Distributed Acoustic Sensing (DAS) and other fiber sensing technologies, transforming our understanding of environmental processes. We seek contributions from researchers and practitioners working on cutting-edge applications of seismological and acoustic fiber optic techniques that showcase their unique capacities to unravel complex environmental dynamics of the cryosphere, geosphere, atmosphere, hydrosphere, and biosphere. Example topics may include but are not limited to: mass movement (landslides, rockfalls, debris flows, lahars); hydrologic processes (groundwater, open-water waves/tides, floods, turbulence, sediment transport), cryospheric (avalanches, icequakes, ice calving/fracture/deformation, glacial hydrology/sliding), atmospheric and oceanic phenomena (microseisms, weather, gravity waves); as well as methodological developments (spatio-temporal imaging, how environmental changes affect fiber-optic sensing operations and data quality, advances in logistical techniques for deployments in harsh environments). Contributors are encouraged to share their research findings, methodologies, and case studies that showcase the versatility and potential of fiber-optic sensing in advancing environmental process monitoring. This session provides a platform for cross-disciplinary discussions, bringing together experts from seismology, acoustics, hydroacoustics, fiber optics, and a wide range of Earth and environmental sciences. Submit your abstract to be part of this transformative session, where fiber-optic sensing technologies take center stage in reshaping our ability to monitor and interpret environmental seismo-acoustic signals.