2024 Photonic Seismology Session: An Innovative Photonic Vision of Volcanoes and Geothermal Systems

Biondi, Ettore

May 13, 2024, 11:03:39 AMMay 13
to das-co...@earthscope.org, Philippe Jousset
Dear fiber-sensing community,

If you are working on projects related to volcano and geothermal science, please consider submitting to our session named “An Innovative Photonic Vision of Volcanoes and Geothermal Systems” part of the 2024 SSA Photonic Seismology Fall Meeting.

The meeting will take place 7-10 October in Vancouver, Canada (https://www.seismosoc.org/photonic/) and the abstract submission deadline is Monday, May 20th, 2024 (https://www.seismosoc.org/meetings/fall-meeting-submissions/).

Below you can find the session description.
Looking forward to seeing you in Vancouver!

Ettore Biondi (CalTech)
Philippe Jousset (GFZ)

Session description:
The structure and dynamics of volcanoes and geothermal systems can benefit from a new vision: fiber-optic sensing. Fiber-optic sensing single point sensors (such as rotational sensors and gyroscopes), fiber Bragg arrays, and distributed fiber-optic sensing have been recently used to improve our knowledge of the subsurface features and mechanisms driving the phenomena occurring within volcanic and geothermal systems. Whether temperature, strain, or chemical sensing, these new tools help us to highlight unknown structural features of the complex plumbing systems of the earth, with a clear reduction of cost for exploration. Monitoring of such systems is also facilitated as deployment on existing telecommunication and dedicated fibers is becoming easier, and the instruments’ sensitivities are enhanced at both high and low frequencies. The session aims to provide an innovative vision of volcanic and geothermal areas with contributions to the exploration and monitoring of these systems in various environments, such as boreholes, underwater, and acidic and high-temperature conditions. We welcome diverse applications related to volcano/geothermal seismicity and tremor, related landslides, and volcanic glaciers that employ new sensing and processing technologies such as machine learning and artificial intelligence. We aim in particular at attracting contributions on the long-term deformation of volcanoes or geothermal systems due to magma, gas, and tectonic processes, as seen with fiber optic and photonic tools to offer geoscientists a new vision of Earth processes leading to new knowledge, better resource management, hazard assessment, as well as for more sustainable energy solutions and risk mitigation.